question. How many steps in gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanOchoa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: question. How many steps in gentoo install Reply with quote

How many major steps (or commands if possible) are there in the installation of the gentoo linux.

Start -> I got NUTHIN'

FINISH -> I got flux workin' on a gentoo linux 2.5.9 box with gkrellm, mozilla 1.0b, Corel Office 2000 and staroffice 5.2.

How many steps from start to finish?

NOTE: I am not asking blindly, I read the install docs thoroughly, and they really didn't explain it all in broad terms.
If you haven't noticed, the idea behind computers has gotten way out of hand. One has to realize that they were created in the firt place to make life easier... if they aren't, then there is something that needs to change.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Major steps Reply with quote

Firstly you will need to get iso, and burn it.
Then boot off of it, load modlues for ethernet, and fdisk your drive, mount the partitions, and build a base install from the stage one.
Progress to stage two and then three and build kernel, after this, setup Grub.
Once this is done, you pretty much have as base of a linux install as is possible.
From there, depending on what window manager you want, lots of compile time, kde and X took me about 7 hours on Athlon 1600XP. Flux shouldn't take too long, at most and hour from stage 3, And then emerging anything else you want, like office apps takes reletivly little time compared with X and kde / gnome.
Does that help?
for overall, if you have about 4 hours of config time, and about 12-18 hours of compile time (kde/gnome) or 4-8 hours (flux / icewm) on a new machine, you can be up and running. I would suggest emerging X and your desktop environment (if you want that) overnight, and get yourself some good sleeping in. Then take back up with configuring the next day.

-Andrew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: