Setting up PalmVx for sync
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hexcts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Setting up PalmVx for sync Reply with quote

New to linux, I have emerged palm-link but can not figure out what to do after that. Thanks for all your help in advance
Blef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALlthough I havent used the pilot-link stuff in a while (i use the kde stuff now) IIRC, you need to create a symlink to the proper comport in /dev, so if your Palm is on COM1, you would do:
Code:
cd /dev; ln -sv ttyS0 pilot

You should then be able to use the pilot-link software to communicate with your palm. If it doesnt work, you might need to make sure you have serial port support enabled in your kernel, as well as make sure you have permission to the device (try running the pilot-* programs as root).
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Palm HOWTO should have the information you need. The pilot-link site also has some documentation, including a device matrix in the wiki that includes which port your Palm will attach to (USB, serial, whatever -- I don't remember which the Vx uses). There's more documentation out there (likely more in these forums, too), but these docs should give you the most essential details.

Two helpful hints: first, if you're using a USB connection (visor module, under usb-serial in the kernel config), the Palm doesn't appear as a USB device until you hit the hotsync button, so you should press that first, before issuing the sync command in Linux. Second, jpilot is a terrific program, which I recommend strongly; if you're using KDE or Gnome, make sure their respective pilot daemon processes aren't running if you want to use jpilot.

Best of luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: