best for Linux: iBook or PowerBook?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentoo_user2003
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: best for Linux: iBook or PowerBook? Reply with quote

I am going to buy a laptop for the purpose of running Linux - either a 12" iBook or a 12" PowerBook. Which is better for running Linux?

I get impression that video support is much better on the iBook, because it has a Radeon with open source drivers, while the PowerBook has a Nvidia for which there are no drivers available. Is this correct?

I am leaning towards the PowerBook, because it is slightly faster, but if there is no video display then obviously that is a show stopper. Also I have read reviews that claim the PowerBook is less rugged and more likely to be damaged in a fall than the iBook - is this true?

Finally can either of them do external VGA output? I have seen the instructions at http://www.mockies.de/main.php?seite=linuxdocs&tab=5&lang=en but these are for an old G3 and I don't know whether they still work on a current G4.
gentoo_user2003
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, does sleep mode work on either of them?
zaheerm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: ibook vs powerbook Reply with quote

I have an ibook g4, so may be a bit biased.

For the powerbook, the opensource nv module if i remember right can be used. So you will get decent enough 2d support but no 3d acceleration.

The powerbook works with sleep while as yet the ibook g4 does not, but i believe its being worked on.

The powerbook 12" and the ibook g4 do not have pcmcia slots, so wireless support in linux is restricted to usb adaptors.

Other than that, I can't remember issues.
the_accidental
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for an ibook (exactly the same dilemma) I just couldn't justify the extra £300 for something that wouldn't work as well for me (3d X, and X support in general).

From what i've read, sleep can be made to work (some tweaking of pbbuttons) ok, the only thing that may not work is the internal microphone (and i've only seen passing reference to that).

Video out can be made to work on the iBook, but the only way to make monitor spanning with an external desktop work (ie larger desktop, NOT mirroring) is with an open firmware hack, which will invalidate your warranty (i checked with apple).
muteaid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for the iBook G3 900Mhz from Apple.

Everything is supported under Gentoo:

- 3d (32M Radeon 7500)
- airport (11b)
- Sleep (functions keys, dim, sound, eject)
- longer battery life (via cpu scaling)
- usb/firewire

Also, the G3 is FASTER then the 12 ibook G4 because it has TWICE the cache (512k(G3) v 256k(G4) and is 100mhz faster. This speeds up compiling and general use better then -100mhz with Altivec. You can also buy them new from Apple (scroll down on there store page) or buy them from retailers. Also, look around on ebay and smalldog.com for closeout prices. The money you saved by going for the g3 instead of the g4 you can buy more ram or donate it to gentroo :)
rickb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Gentoo running perfectly on a 800 Mhz G3 iBook.

If you want to run Linux on a relatively current Apple notebook, the 12" Powerbook is about the worst choice, especially the Nvidia graphics will probably never be properly supported.

Linux on G4 iBooks and other recent Powerbooks is still very much a work in progress. I'm optimistic about future support for Radeon and sleep, but Airport Extreme looks unlikely.

If you want 100% Linux support *now*, without uncertainties and bleeding edge stuff, and you don't need maximum power, go for the G3 iBook, new ones are still available at a lot of shops last time I looked. Or maybe an old TiBook. If you want a 12" apple notebook and no compromises running Linux, the G3 is your only option afaik.

Me, i've now got a 15" 1.25Ghz Powerbook now (partly because the iBook was so damn cute and practical my girlfriend more or less hijacked it, thank god she thinks the AlBook is ugly....). I use Linux a lot on this box, but it's still far from perfect.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: