Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
getting my computer to poweroff
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: getting my computer to poweroff Reply with quote

Before I recompiled my kernel my computer would turn off automatically witht the "halt" command. Now it spins down the harddrives and waits for me to hit the button. I assume this is because i forgot to compile something into the kernel im assuming something power related. does anybody know the module by heart and where it is in the menu so i dont need to do a guess and check method. thanks.
RMXO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: getting my computer to poweroff Reply with quote

dufnutz wrote:
Before I recompiled my kernel my computer would turn off automatically witht the "halt" command. Now it spins down the harddrives and waits for me to hit the button. I assume this is because i forgot to compile something into the kernel im assuming something power related. does anybody know the module by heart and where it is in the menu so i dont need to do a guess and check method. thanks.

did u make a backup copy of your .config file? if so then compare the old one with the new one. have u looked in APM or APCI?
water
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is your computer? PC's with a pentium II processor, or newer, use (almost always) APCI. So compile APCI-support into your kernel and don't compile apm-support in your kernel.

I had the same problem and for me this fixed it.

Where it's in de kernel config menu is, i can't say right now, but i think it's somewhere under General Setup
smtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had to compile ACPI into the kernel to get the poweroff to work.
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i compiled ACPI withouth any extras. and i get a kernel panick every boot until i take it out of the config. so i guess i wont be using that
water
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is your computer? Pentium I, and older, use apm instead of apci.

BTW: i didn't mean that you only had to choose the option APCI. I can't check right now, but i think there are some options using apci. Try the help option to see wich options you might need.
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer isn't old its a

athlon tbird 1.4ghz
asus a7m266 (amd 760 chipset)

So I figure i must have done something wrong with acpi because my computer is new enough to support it. What i did is i went to the spot in the menu that says "apci" and hit "y" and then a bunch of submenus below popped up that had various options i didn't add any of them. then i recompiled my kernel and moved it to boot using the line

make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

and when i booted i received a kernel panick. that kernel panick continued until i removed apci and made the kernel over. I appreciate all your help so far.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to enable "use real mode apm to poweroff" (or something like that, I don't remember exact words).
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok im in the process of compiling that right now, i'll update you on how it goes. my only concern is that the option you told me is under "apm" section and early people said that my system probably wants apci... oh well if it works im happy. thanks
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok after rebooting and trying to poweroff the same thing happens. i used teh "halt" command and the hard drives spin down and the screen says power down. so im convinced that i need to put apci back in. the only problem is last time it gave me a kernel panick, any suggestions on what im doing wrong? thanks
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for being late, but locking in favor of this thread.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: