Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Brainfade - deleted gcc, now emerge is fubar. Any way back?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdunne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Brainfade - deleted gcc, now emerge is fubar. Any way back? Reply with quote

Trying to get the latest gcc up to emerge openoffice 1.1 It seemed to be conflicting with my installed version (3.2, so without thinking through the consequences I emerge -C it :(

Big mistake :( Now emerge fails with a python error (missing library libstdc++.5.so) and I can't logon any more (luckily I have 2 sessions already open)

Anyone think of a way to get gcc back on there without another reinstallation ??

(I've already cut down the birch switches. Self flagellation will follow shortly !)
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search is your friend :)

Never imagine you are the only one making stupid things. We all do :)
Welcome to the club :D

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=23856&highlight=unmerge+gcc
sdunne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers aridhol, I have been searching the forums for hints, but missed that post.

The reason I haven't tried to get out of my predicament by expanding from a stage X tarball is that I'm worried about shagging my installation even further. (Admittedly it's a bit late for being cautious now :))

Would I be better dropping the whole thing into a temp dir and try to pick out the gcc specific stuff, or go the whole hog as per that post, expand the stage 1 tarball into / and pray that nothing else critical gets zapped/downgraded.

BTW I appreciate your help.

Stephen
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... you could try to do that. Not sure how good it would work though, but try, and directly afterwards reemerge gcc.
sdunne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't one of my more spectacular successes :(

Dumped the stage1 tarball over / and emerge started working again. Leaping to conclusions, I thought I had it cracked and emerged gcc, but It immediately failed with a "Bus Error". Any attempt to run any command or executable gave the same error. Rebooting from the CD caused the same thing as soon as I chrooted into /mnt/gentoo :(

Ho hum, I wiped everything bar seti :) and am in the middle of an emerge system after dropping the RC5 stage3 tarball on it.

We live and learn ;)

Stephen
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: