Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Favorite Scripting Languages???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What scripting language do you like to use?
Ruby
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Perl
28%
 28%  [ 10 ]
Python
62%
 62%  [ 22 ]
Other (if so, post it below)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 35

0ver.bi+e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Favorite Scripting Languages??? Reply with quote

Choose one of the following and feel free to comment.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a support question (originally posted in Portage & Programming). Off The Wall looks tempting, but it's computer-related, so Gentoo Chat for now.

BTW, 0ver.bi+e, how do you define the difference between a "scripting" language and a "programming" language?

ObReply: although this is likely to come as no surprise to anybody who watches me fall back on it all the time in my postings, I vote Perl.
0ver.bi+e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only meant scripting language as literally the language with which one prefers to write scripts (bash command extensions in /usr/bin or something, or, in general, small special-purpose software).

Although, I would love to discuss your thoughts on the differences between the two? :)
0ver.bi+e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, sorry about the confusion of placing the poll. I just saw Portage & Programming and got all giddy. (gotta read those subheadings, don't I?) :wink:
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ver.bi+e wrote:
Although, I would love to discuss your thoughts on the differences between the two? :)

I don't think there is any. I have seen people describe certain languages as "scripting languages", or certain people as "scripters", and I have usually seen the term carry a certain amount of disdain, like the "script" is not a real program, the "scripting language" is not a "real" language, and the "scripter" is not a "real programmer".

So I try to avoid the word "script" to avoid being seen as part of this "programmer priesthood". If the computer executes it, it's a program. Doesn't matter to me if it's compiled or interpreted. And the most important aspect of a language to me is that it doesn't try to force me to do things a particular way. Usually I'm just not in the mood (sorry, Dr. Wirth).

Now don't get me wrong - I'll get as exasperated as the next person if someone calls themselves an "HTML programmer". Well, unless they're writing a parser or something, that is.

And well-meaning egalitarian sentiments aside, I must confess to a good deal of jealousy, awe, and admiration each time I read the story of Mel.
dioxmat
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about php, *sh/*csh, tcl/tk ? (my personal favourite being php :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage is python based, so let's see... Yup, there's the vote button right there! :)
0ver.bi+e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)

rac,

I see what you mean and I agree with you whole-heartedly. I don't like that there seems, now, to be a perceived difference between scripting languages and programming languages when really they are one in the same (albeit at different levels of processing and complexity.)

I like Python for its simple and natural syntax as well as its powerful module library. I can write CGI forms, expand my bash shell, write GUIs, develop web applications (Zope), etc. I am currently working on a couple of big software projects in Python (very hush hush, you know) and will probably never stop loving it.
mindows
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, php is a scripting language too. a lot of ppl think that php is used only for generating html pages, but it can function as a regular script, without generating html headers. go php!
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding has always been that scripting languages are interpreted, while programming languages are compiled.

Not that I agree or disagree -- just saying that's how I've always understood the distinction to be.

--kurt
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
My understanding has always been that scripting languages are interpreted, while programming languages are compiled.

Isn't whether something is compiled or interpreted a feature of the implementation, not the language? I've seen both interpreters and compilers for BASIC, Fortran, and Perl, and I'm sure that's not all.

And what do you do with bytecode languages, where you compile things down to a bytecode that is then itself interpreted, like Java or UCSD P-code? This gets especially hazy when you have stuff like HotSpot that compiles parts of the program while it is running.

And I have a hard time with the fact that this definition would make Forth and PostScript scripting languages. :) Imagine a world where Ghostscript was your shell. 8O
mindows
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

Not that I agree or disagree -- just saying that's how I've always understood the distinction to be.

--kurt

both interpreted languages and compiled languages are programming languages. why can't we call scripting 'programming'? heck, we even say "programming my VCR"
mindows
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:

And I have a hard time with the fact that this definition would make Forth and PostScript scripting languages. :) Imagine a world where Ghostscript was your shell. 8O

:) heh

Quote:
CERT® Advisory CA-1995-10 Ghostscript Vulnerability
Attackers who have inserted malicious code into a PostScript file can cause commands to be executed and files to be modified on any system where that PostScript file is viewed with ghostscript.
Snoopster77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favourites are VBScript and VBA .... hold on ... I think I'm in the wrong place :oops:

p.s It's a joke ... you can laugh if you want to
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: