Gentoo & Logical Volume Management
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Gentoo & Logical Volume Management Reply with quote

It seems that 1.4 will soon be released, and I'm getting ready for my very first Gentoo-installation :). I will be installing it on two computers: My personal workstation and an older desktop that will act as an server. That server will have several HD's that will be utilizing LVM. Now, how would I install Gentoo if I wanted to use LVM? Does anyone have any experience using LVM with Gentoo? The installation-instructions don't say anything regarding it.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that contrary to https://forums.gentoo.org/faq.php#2 (my bad), 3-letter words *do* appear to be indexed. I just tried searching for 'lvm', and it turned up 32 threads, many of which looked like they might be of interest to you.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll take a look at those :)
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This How to setup LVM (Logical Volume Manager) including root might be interresting for you.

simon
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon wrote:
This How to setup LVM (Logical Volume Manager) including root might be interresting for you.

simon

That's exactly what I had in mind, thanks :)!
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have followed the documentation to install gentoo with lvm-root, searched various lists, googled, checked my configuration (kernel-options, ...) but when booting, the kernel is not able to mount the root filesystem and stops with a kernel panic.

My Kernel (2.4.19-gentoo-r7) is compiled with devfs enabled, ramdisk-support, initial ramdisk, lvm, created the initrd with lvmcreate_initrd, have support for ext3 fs (I only use ext3).

The Kernel-Output is too fast to read on startup, but I see:

Code:
LVM version 1.0.3(19/02/2002)

and
Code:

RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
Freeing initrd memory: 1209k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
Mounted devfs on /dev
VFS: Cannot open root device "beavg/rootlv" or 0b:ea
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 0b:ea

I have tweaked my menu.lst (grub) especially the "root" option (set to "/dev/beavg/rootlv").

Any Ideas, Hints....?

Thanks, Simon
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the option in the kernel selected to mount devfs at boot?

Under filesystems, I have:
Code:

[*] /dev file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)
 [*]   Automatically mount at boot

I'm sure you have ext3 as a built in and not a module :)

I had the same issue when I was rebuilding my other box, and stupidly I forgot to check to automatically mount devfs at boot.
figured I'd bring it up. Sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier, I don't come on as often anymore.. not enough time.
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.

arkane wrote:
Do you have the option in the kernel selected to mount devfs at boot?

Under filesystems, I have:
Code:

[*] /dev file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)
 [*]   Automatically mount at boot

Yes, I even get the message that devfs is mounted on boot. I get the message (from the initrd) that logical-volume is found and activated.

arkane wrote:

I'm sure you have ext3 as a built in and not a module :)

Yes, most things are compiled into the kernel, have just a bunch of modules, none of these are essential for startup.

Just built a new kernel, deleted my old .config, to check if it depends on some wired option, but I get the same results.

Maybe I get back to the start, once again, and try to build a system with a small / partition not in lvm. But I hate that, because I know that it is possible and so I want it (even if it is a little bit tricky or stupid to have / on lvm). It's not a solution not to take lvm, if it does not work the first time (or second time).

Anyway, it's weekend. What else could I do on a sunny sunday.

Is anybody running root fs on lvm with 1.4_beta? Anybody tried that?

Thanks in advance,
Simon
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the initrd when you make it?
It should say when you make it with lvmcreate_initrd.
Mine says "lvmcreate_initrd -- making loopback file (3274 kB)".

I'm just making sure it's not over the default of 4096 in the kernel. If it is, need to hike it up. Sorry for running over basics.
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

my ramdisk ist large enough, as I can see in the output when I creat it, and the fact, that my vg gets activated. Also played around with larger initrd.

Anyway, I'm just on the way to a gentoo with lvm, but not root. Hope it works this time.

Thanks for your help,
Simon
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

thanks to the long weekend. Three installs in 3 days, but finally it works, having my root fs not in lvm. Not exactly yhat what I wanted, but ....

Thanks for your patient, I don't know what I have made wrong.

Simon
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to resurface this thread... I noticed that the 1.4_rc1 has EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System). How is that different from LVM? Are there any instructions on how to install with EVMS or are the LVM-instructions still more or less valid?
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: EVMS r00lz! Reply with quote

EVMS is light years ahead of LVM -- even better than LVM2 (which is still in beta). I converted my LVM array to EVMS with ease by reading the HOWTO and using the GUI.

A word of warning: The gentoo-sources 2.4.19-r7 kernel (I haven't tried later releases) only have EVMS 1.0.0 patched into it, but the EVMS tools in portage are for 1.1.0 so they won't emerge. I had to get a vanilla kernel and add the 1.1.0 patch. After a reboot into the new kernel, the tools can be emerged and run. Use the tools to create your EVMS volumes. Once everything works properly with that kernel, you can safely (from my experience. YMMV) go back to the Gentoo kernel (2.4.19-r7 or higher). The EVMS volumes will work properly with the Gentoo kernel, but the tools won't run. You don't need the tools once everything has been set up, so this is okay.
chavez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: EVMS r00lz! Reply with quote

Yama wrote:
EVMS is light years ahead of LVM -- even better than LVM2 (which is still in beta). I converted my LVM array to EVMS with ease by reading the HOWTO and using the GUI.

A word of warning: The gentoo-sources 2.4.19-r7 kernel (I haven't tried later releases) only have EVMS 1.0.0 patched into it, but the EVMS tools in portage are for 1.1.0 so they won't emerge. I had to get a vanilla kernel and add the 1.1.0 patch. After a reboot into the new kernel, the tools can be emerged and run. Use the tools to create your EVMS volumes. Once everything works properly with that kernel, you can safely (from my experience. YMMV) go back to the Gentoo kernel (2.4.19-r7 or higher). The EVMS volumes will work properly with the Gentoo kernel, but the tools won't run. You don't need the tools once everything has been set up, so this is okay.

gentoo-sources (2.4.19-r9) contains 1.1.0 so life gets even better!

BTW the 1.4 rc1 Live CD has some of the user space tools such as the EVMS command line and the Ncurses evmsn utility on it so you could set up your volumes for an install if you like. :D

Luciano Chavez
kerframil
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Exciting stuff Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW the 1.4 rc1 Live CD has some of the user space tools such as the EVMS command line and the Ncurses evmsn utility on it so you could set up your volumes for an install if you like.

That's good :-)

I have a few questions. It looks as though I will be migrating my Win2000 Server to Linux to save money, and in the process it will be housed on a "new" Compaq Proliant ML350. This box has a SCSI-U/W disk array (but the controller does not do hardware RAID I think), and it has 4 36Gb disks. I am very keen on using a EVMS/software RAID/ReiserFS combo with Gentoo. I've not used any form of Linux-based volume management before. My main questions are as follows:
  • Grub and ReiserFS. I've been bitten by this combination while setting up my desktop, so I resorted to using ext2 for my boot partition. I am worried that EVMS will complicate matters. Is it considered good practice to keep an entirely separate /boot partition, and keep EVMS volumes outside of that? If so, is it worth using a journalled filesystem for the /boot partition on a server?
  • I noticed some complaints about booting with Grub and EVMS on another thread, where the individual concerned elected to use LILO instead. I would rather not! Does anyone have any tips to avoid such issues?
  • I am considering either using RAID-1 mirroring for two disks (which would contain most of the system, including root partition), leaving two for a /home RAID-0 array, or just forgetting about RAID-1 and using three disks for RAID-0. Regardless of which approach I use, does anyone have some tips on how best to accomplish this from the LiveCD? In particular I'm a little unsure of how to create the RAID partitions/volumes and how EVMS really fits in with this already established storage technology - is this all now handled from within the EVMS toolkit?
Well I'm off to read the HOWTO in some depth, but I really would appreciate any help on this subject ... thanks (if only Daniel Robbin's second part of his EVMS series had been posted by now)!
robinbowes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Exciting stuff Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm about to build a similar box only using hardware RAID and have similar wishes regarding filesystems (would like to use EVMS/ReiserFS).

Did you get any tips that helped you with this? Can you share any of your experiences?

Thanks,

R.

kerframil wrote:
Quote:
BTW the 1.4 rc1 Live CD has some of the user space tools such as the EVMS command line and the Ncurses evmsn utility on it so you could set up your volumes for an install if you like.

That's good :-)

I have a few questions. It looks as though I will be migrating my Win2000 Server to Linux to save money, and in the process it will be housed on a "new" Compaq Proliant ML350. This box has a SCSI-U/W disk array (but the controller does not do hardware RAID I think), and it has 4 36Gb disks. I am very keen on using a EVMS/software RAID/ReiserFS combo with Gentoo. I've not used any form of Linux-based volume management before. My main questions are as follows:
  • Grub and ReiserFS. I've been bitten by this combination while setting up my desktop, so I resorted to using ext2 for my boot partition. I am worried that EVMS will complicate matters. Is it considered good practice to keep an entirely separate /boot partition, and keep EVMS volumes outside of that? If so, is it worth using a journalled filesystem for the /boot partition on a server?
  • I noticed some complaints about booting with Grub and EVMS on another thread, where the individual concerned elected to use LILO instead. I would rather not! Does anyone have any tips to avoid such issues?
  • I am considering either using RAID-1 mirroring for two disks (which would contain most of the system, including root partition), leaving two for a /home RAID-0 array, or just forgetting about RAID-1 and using three disks for RAID-0. Regardless of which approach I use, does anyone have some tips on how best to accomplish this from the LiveCD? In particular I'm a little unsure of how to create the RAID partitions/volumes and how EVMS really fits in with this already established storage technology - is this all now handled from within the EVMS toolkit?
Well I'm off to read the HOWTO in some depth, but I really would appreciate any help on this subject ... thanks (if only Daniel Robbin's second part of his EVMS series had been posted by now)!
meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything new on the comparison between LVM2 & EVMS?

I asked this elsewhere, and my thread was promptly moved to duplicate, and I was redirected to this 2.5 years old thread... 8O
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: