JFS or XFS?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfunkmonk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: JFS or XFS? Reply with quote

I've kinda screwed up my installed, so i've decided its time to re-install Gentoo. I've always used ReiserFS, and I decided maybe to try a new Filesystem this time, and I just want to know, opinions of wich is better JFS or XFS? or should I just stick with ReiserFS?
blackcell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: JFS or XFS? Reply with quote

gfunkmonk wrote:
I've kinda screwed up my installed, so i've decided its time to re-install Gentoo. I've always used ReiserFS, and I decided maybe to try a new Filesystem this time, and I just want to know, opinions of wich is better JFS or XFS? or should I just stick with ReiserFS?

More of a matter of opinion, what you're going to be using the platform for and following the XFS and JFS lists. Interestingly, XFS has yet to be merged in the stable kernel tree. It appears JFS has just been officially merged in the 2.4 kernel tree (2.4.20-pre4).
http://kerneltrap.org/node.php?id=385
I've had zero issues running Gentoo XFS on 2 servers running Bind 9.2.1, a mailserver and a web/ftp server that gets pounded around the clock.
gfunkmonk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm just going to use this box as a desktop environment, email and web surfing and the such.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried xfs out acouple of times and it is super slow...compared to ext3 and reiserfs....i was installing it using linux software raid and got no benefit from raid 0 at all using xfs....ext3 and reiserfs performed about the same but i think infact i am certain ext3 is alot more durable...i had lost power with reiserfs and it screwed me..i have had to hardboot with ext3 and have yet to have any problem with it. just my 2 cents
gfunkmonk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never have been a big fan of Ext3 I think its slow, so I just used ReiserFS, and I just wanted to know if XFS or JFS was any faster. I did backup and switch to JFS but my systems a little screwed so I can't tell if its any faster, so I'm just going to reinstall. Besides I haven't reinstalled for about 4 days now.
UNIX4ALL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running JFS on my gentoo Box and It's very fast, XFS is very slow compared to JFS, ext3 the same and ReiserFS has the famous corruption bug in 2.4.x kernels.

My advise, use JFS.
gfunkmonk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I'm trying out JFS, now...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting this thread will continue to develop in a manner suitable for a life in Gentoo Chat, although it was born in OTG.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNIX4ALL wrote:
Im running JFS on my gentoo Box and It's very fast, XFS is very slow compared to JFS, ext3 the same and ReiserFS has the famous corruption bug in 2.4.x kernels.

My advise, use JFS.

What kernel are you using? And is JFS supported during installation of Gentoo? I know XFS, ext2/3 (and ReiserFS) are.

I'd like to try out JFS, building Gentoo on it from scratch.
gfunkmonk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you apply the latest pre-patch for the 2.4.19 kernel, then JFS is built in.
UNIX4ALL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

I'm using Gentoo-Sources 2.4.19-r7, in the instalation you can't make the partitions with JFS, you must make them with another program (I was used the mdk 8.2 installer for make and format them) well, in the Gentoo instalation you only have to mount the partitions and install :).
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try a chrooted install from my existing Gentoo installation on a new JFS filesystem.
waverider202
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: XFS slower than ext3? Reply with quote

Um...I don't know what kind of set up you have, but I've never heard of ext3 being fast at all. Xfs is one of the fasted filesystems around. I've been using it with no problems. Ext3 is more stable, but thats because it not only journals meta data, it journals your actualy data, but hits your performance big time.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm running xfs and its benn damn stable. If i had to do it over id probobly use reiser since it is supposadly faster, but w/ the amount of power outages i have xfs is probobly better.
silvercat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running XFS right now on my Gentoo box... i've only ever used ext3 and XFS... i don't really have a lot of experience with ReiserFS or JFS... so i can't really comment on those two... what i do know is that there is a definate difference between ext3 and XFS that i can determine... during boot-up... XFS is quicker... and when doing an emerge sync... i can also feel a definate difference in speed.... when using XFS as opposed to ext3...

I had Gentoo installed with ext3... and XFS... and i stuck with XFS... now... my only question is... with the new xfs-sources-2.4.19-r2... and ... gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r10... does XFS play nice with pre-empt now ?... anyone know ?...

thanks..
Bowyakka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XFS has always been so damn stable for me past kernel 2.4.18
It might not be *quite as fast as reiserfs or jfs but it has always managed to stay 100% stable

I was running a 2.4.18 kernel with xfs , pre-empt (+ lock breaking) O2 and the rik Virtual machine so a long long time and I had no problems with xfs.....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: