Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
eth0 tulip problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybernaut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

I am facing the exact same problem. Have a Linksys nic. Installed tulip during Gentoo installation. Succefully completed the installation.

When I try to reboot, eth0 does not come up successfully. When I tried executing the command '/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start' I get the error "Failed to bring eth0 up [!!]" So I did not even bother to try ifconfig.

Any pointers?[/quote]
Valen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try (as root)
Code:
modprobe tulip

this shouldn't work, since it doesn't in startup, but you might get a more helpful error message. And if it does work then you just have to figure out why it doesn't autoload.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not compile tulip in the kernel.
Cybernaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

When I try to run
Code:
'modprobe tulip'

I get the following error
Code:
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/modules.dep
 (No such file or directory)

How can I remedy this? Please tell me I don't need to go thru stage1, stage2 and stage3 to fix this :-(
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:54 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

Cybernaut wrote:
When I try to run
Code:
'modprobe tulip'

I get the following error
Code:
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/modules.dep
 (No such file or directory)

How can I remedy this?

Try:
Code:
# depmod -a

Cybernaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:57 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

Code:
# depmod -a

When I tried this I got the error
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/modules.dep for writing.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

Cybernaut wrote:
Code:
# depmod -a

When I tried this I got the error
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/modules.dep for writing.

That's weird. You did run it as root, right? Is 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 the kernel you are running? (uname -a will tell you this) Does the directory /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7 exist? Did you do "make modules_install" when you built the kernel?
Cybernaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

Quote:
That's weird. You did run it as root, right? Is 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 the kernel you are running? (uname -a will tell you this) Does the directory /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7 exist? Did you do "make modules_install" when you built the kernel?

I am running 2.4.19-gentoo-r7. I don't have a modules directory under /lib!! Should I have one? If so can I do a "make modules_install" to remedy this? What steps after that?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

Cybernaut wrote:
I am running 2.4.19-gentoo-r7. I don't have a modules directory under /lib!! Should I have one? If so can I do a "make modules_install" to remedy this? What steps after that?

If you have any modules, you should have that directory. Assuming your kernel sources are in /usr/src/linux, I would do:
Code:
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make modules
[make sure it completed correctly without error]
# make modules_install
# depmod -a

Cybernaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

Hi rac,
Thank you so much for all the help :) I really appreciate this.
I ran the following code
Code:
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make modules
[make sure it completed correctly without error]
# make modules_install
# depmod -a

Then I rebooted my machine. Stiil the tulip drivers are not getting loaded. So I tried
Code:
modprobe tulip
and the message I get is "Can't locate module tulip"???
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

Cybernaut wrote:
I tried
Code:
modprobe tulip
and the message I get is "Can't locate module tulip"???

Grrr...garbage like this is one of the reasons I try to avoid kernel modules. Do you have a philosophical objection to compiling the tulip driver directly into the kernel?
Cybernaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

Quote:
Grrr...garbage like this is one of the reasons I try to avoid kernel modules. Do you have a philosophical objection to compiling the tulip driver directly into the kernel?

At this point in time I just want to get it working :) So I am open to ANY suggestion. To be compiled directly into the kernel, I presume I will need to do the steps in Code Listing 25 of the install and add the module to be part of the kernel itself am I correct?

So I went into /usr/src/linux and ran make menuconfig. But the Tulip driver is not listed as such under Network driver Support->Ethernet (10 to 100 Mbit). So any idea which one I need to pick for my Linksys router?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

Cybernaut wrote:
So I went into /usr/src/linux and ran make menuconfig. But the Tulip driver is not listed as such under Network driver Support->Ethernet (10 to 100 Mbit). So any idea which one I need to pick for my Linksys router?

Just change whatever driver you set to be a module before [M] to [*]...I wrote, and then stopped myself. This is beginning to make more sense now. You probably didn't find the tulip module because you never compiled it in the first place, because it was missing from your kernel compilation. Is this possible?

In any case, the tulip driver is called "DECchip Tulip (dc21x4x) PCI support".
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

Cybernaut wrote:
So any idea which one I need to pick for my Linksys router?
I'm hoping this is an oversight. The router has no bearing on what NIC support you compile in.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was forked off from here.
browndawg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Cybernaut wrote:

Just change whatever driver you set to be a module before [M] to [*]...I wrote, and then stopped myself. This is beginning to make more sense now. You probably didn't find the tulip module because you never compiled it in the first place, because it was missing from your kernel compilation. Is this possible?

I compiled the tulip drive into the kernel not has a module. What should I do recompile the kernel. compile tulip has a module.

I am a very big Red Hat fan, and I am trying a gentoo first the time. I am learn a lot of stuff that red hat take care of. I want to try should different.
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re:Am in the exact same scenario Reply with quote

browndawg wrote:
rac wrote:
Cybernaut wrote:

I compiled the tulip drive into the kernel not has a module. What should I do recompile the kernel. compile tulip has a module.

I am a very big Red Hat fan, and I am trying a gentoo first the time. I am learn a lot of stuff that red hat take care of. I want to try should different.

I have the linksys Nic, and i'm running the 1.4.19 r7 Gentoo.. Just compile the Tulip driver into the Kernal.. don't do module.. then follow the exact directions on the install guild and it should work without any problems... don't do modules.. they are just a pain.. and are more for usb, mouse, and sound..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: