View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is one typical we are great and we totally agree threads (I would put some atostrophes into this sentence, but I cant)... I nevertheless think it is great to talk about the spirit behind all of this...

for me gentoo is some kind of a club... when you manage to get it installed for the first time you are part of it. If you fail or just dont care you can still do whatever you want, but you are missing all the fun we have.
Thats why I dont like the idea of having an automatic install procedure (I would post this in the according thread, but ~500 people have done so before and nobody will read it)
I believe this to be the reason why debian has some known problems. There is some kind of a split between the users. Some have the experience which enables them to get along with any given OS and some others managed to get Debian installed. I think it is realistic to assume that the people who managed to install debian overweight the experienced users. The latter group just gets frustrated and shouts RTFM and we cant even resent to them.
gigel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antik wrote:

So, never-never make gentoo easy for noobs! Or else...

i am a noob(look under my nickname :D ) and though i managed to install gentoo for the first time -about 1,5 month ago(and working since then) ..
with one thing i have to agree,gentoo should not have an install program,but this does not make it difficult..for me it just as easy...

anyway(if you read my first post in this thread) it all resumes to RTFM ,but in gentoo-s case TRFM is translated with read the funny manpage :)
it's a little *big* difference..just imho

regards!
quakz99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree that Gentoo definately has the best forums of any distro/noob site. I often use the Gentoo forums to find out solutions to problems with other distros that I get when I recompile half the software. Just search for the problem and the answer is often already there.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quakz99, why not just use Gentoo and dump all your other distros? :)
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Gentoo is noob friendly...look at all the forum posts, some of them are obviously noob material, and others are really complicated, I think Gentoo is a great all-around distro. The thing about Gentoo is that you are learning about the system while you build it, Debian is similar but it's stable tree was so outdated that you aren't using anything remotely new (that's what got me to switch)...I like new shiney stuff ;)
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the major reasons i say to keep the non-automated installation system is not to keep newbies away...its to get them to try other distros before the come to gentoo...

my experiences with RH, MDK, lindows, elx, etc etc are what made gentoo so incredibly impressive to me once i got around to looking into it...the helpful forums and community, the distro itself, portage, etc.

had i just tried out gentoo straight out of the gate as my first distro, i dont think i would have quite the same appreciation for gentoo. i think this appreciation that we all share for gentoo is one of the major things that makes these forums work so well...we have all tried the rest and found the best 8)
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the no-automation thing...I like the system the way it is now...hard enough that it takes time and dedication to set it up, but it's not so hard that you have to have read all the code of linux before hand to use it. It's a good feeling once it's installed.
cybermans
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what will happen in rthe future (not a veruy soon future i hope) is that all basic items will be covered 100 times and the forum will be "complete" (in dutch verzadigd zal wel niet helemaal goed vertaald zijn maar whateva). And the moment that happens gentoo will not anymore have the nicest community around 'cause the old die hard with there die hard probs will start bitching around. I have this seen on multiple fora thru the years. One of the examples is the tweakers.net forum. But still they cant answer any question (like nobody can answer my Xfree question (see hardware and laptops) ).
jj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mortix wrote:
but in gentoo-s case RTFM is translated with read the funny manpage

Code:
# man funny

Hmmm, doesn't do a thing :)
gigel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jj wrote:
mortix wrote:

Code:
# man funny

it's a *figure of speach* :P
and i realy doubt you typed also
Code:
man F...

"F" as in the _REAL_ RTFM ....

//please forgive me(i'm offtopic aswell),i canot be explicit 'cause of obscenity...gues you'll figure it out :lol:
papabean
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlynch11 wrote:
one of the major reasons i say to keep the non-automated installation system is not to keep newbies away...its to get them to try other distros before the come to gentoo...

my experiences with RH, MDK, lindows, elx, etc etc are what made gentoo so incredibly impressive to me once i got around to looking into it...the helpful forums and community, the distro itself, portage, etc.

I just wanted to say that this is definitely one of the things that helps make the gentoo community as resourceful as it is. Having also bounced through many distros (LFS being my historical favorite), I learned a lot.

Had I not gone through LFS prior (where I was unable to run Eterm and had KainX tell me 'no sane distro' would present that problem), I would not appreciate Gentoo for what it is: A brilliant DIY Linux kit with easy-to-read instructions and 24-hour technical support.

I think I may be a Gentoo lifer.
starquake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't add much to what has been said before me, I'm a total n00b to all of this (Linux,Gentoo) coming from M$ XP background, and not long with that either..One great thing I like so much here is, that at least now, before getting my system up the way I wan't (lots of GUI-stuff), there's not much better to do waiting to xfree or KDE to emerge etc. than read forum posts, search for threads that cover my spesific questions or problematic areas I know nothing of (yet), and I just learn and learn and learn..And get confused at times too..
There seems to be a good helping spirit around here, and I have seen helping and supportive comments for most parts, even questions that are covered millions of times in FAQ or spesific threads are answered with style-> "go seek here, this thread, SEARCH-button!..etc.) :)
For what it's worth,
starquake
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jj wrote:
mortix wrote:

Code:
# man funny

Code:
emerge funny-manpages
8)

Bute the above command still won't work :(
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlynch11 wrote:

Yes, you only know what's good if have seen the bad. :lol:

Quote:

What I like most about Gentoo is the flexibility. On other distros you are fine as long as you stay with the install CDs. If you want a non-supported package you have to search the web for a package tailored for the specific distribution. For Gentoo there is a ebuild for most packages in portage or you can easy create one.
Of course you can compile the packages on other distros as well, but then you can abandon the package management right away.
(I know that the above is not true for all distros).
For me it seems that most commercial distributions try to make the install as easy as possible and leave the maintainig to the user. And Gentoo is the opposite of that :D

Quote:
had i just tried out gentoo straight out of the gate as my first distro, i dont think i would have quite the same appreciation for gentoo. i think this appreciation that we all share for gentoo is one of the major things that makes these forums work so well...we have all tried the rest and found the best 8)

Yeah, that's true. A crowd of Linux users frustrated by the deficiencies of other distros :lol:
jj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:

Code:
emerge funny-manpages
8)

Bute the above command still won't work :(

This is geting way off-topic; my apolagies, but still. Besides funny-manpages, also try:
Code:
#emerge asr-manpages

cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to what everybody else have said, I agree on that the forums are a great place for support. Both for "low-tech" and "high-tech" questions.

Personally, I think the excellent moderators here are one of the top reasons for these forums not deteriorating into flame wars and general unpoliteness. They are really polite when stopping the occational RTFM outbursts, providing an example for us all. Thanks for your great work!!!
Bytal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: I believe Comic Book Guy said it best.... Reply with quote

Best Linux Forums...Ever

:)
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, now we really know we are the best, so lets just keep it that way...
turnah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a crappy forum user. :twisted:
ric_man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I know I'm joining this thread late, but I do have to add that I think the Gentoo Forums are far the best I have ever dealt with...

The main point is that it started about 2 something years ago, and I think the content in it is absolutely superb... I attempt to do searches on most of my problems (to do with the PC) and the majority of the answers can be found there... There are only a few things I can't get an answer for, and then I have to try to search the web looking for specific answers...

Kudos to all the posters...

Oh, BTW, Gentoo is only the 3rd Distro I've tried. I started with Red Hat 7.0, tried Mandrake 9.?? and then tried Gentoo. I also tried Knoppix, but I don't count that as I didn't actually have to install anything. Knoppix mainly gave me the confidence to give Gentoo a go (eg. If Knoppix got the sound to work, then Gentoo should be able to do it too).

I love Portage, I think it's great, but by far the best thing about Gentoo isn't the actual disto, or the tools, or the package management, or the optimizations, it's the documentation - either that being the Forums, or the On-line docos on the site...

Well done to all!
mrmodin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got much help from this forum, and that really motivate me to contribute with my knowlege to help others.
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just generally nice and fuzzy, except when sat eating popcorn watching flamewars in OTW :lol:

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
ta-life
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCoop wrote:
im just generally nice and fuzzy, except when sat eating popcorn watching flamewars in OTW :lol:

Yup, but i'm glad those flamewars in OTW are somewhat of a good quality compared to some other distro(and/or)Linuces_Info forum... :lol:
windex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This distribution and this community is simply amazing.

I use gentoo for application engineering and every time I log into the console it feels like an adventure. The first time I posted on these forums I was intimidated because people here are smart. But they are all way cool.

I've never had a computing experience like this.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHHHH ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2003 ALIVE AGAIN!!!! :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: