View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasimirEffect
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Openwriter? Reply with quote

I'm trying to get openoffice installed on a laptop with only a 4GB Hard drive. It keeps failing the emerge with an insufficent space error. Is there anyway to just emerge Openwriter because all I really need is a Word Processor that will output M$Word compatible files. I don't need the spreadsheet et al.
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to compile just one component of the program, but I'd suppose it can be done since you can choose to install certain components without the others during the binary install. In your case, it may be easier just to go ahead and do that. It won't be compiled directly for your system, of course, but it'd probably save a lot of time and trouble. Just a suggestion.
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitro322 wrote:
I don't know how to compile just one component of the program, but I'd suppose it can be done since you can choose to install certain components without the others during the binary install. In your case, it may be easier just to go ahead and do that. It won't be compiled directly for your system, of course, but it'd probably save a lot of time and trouble. Just a suggestion.

If u installed binaries, u might have enough space for it all. Try emerge openoffice-bin.
helmerj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Openwriter? Reply with quote

CasimirEffect wrote:
I'm trying to get openoffice installed on a laptop with only a 4GB Hard drive. It keeps failing the emerge with an insufficent space error. Is there anyway to just emerge Openwriter because all I really need is a Word Processor that will output M$Word compatible files. I don't need the spreadsheet et al.

That is not possible. It's all one big thing. The startwriter is the same actual binary as the scalc just called with a different flag.

Install the binary as suggested earlier and make a custom install leaving all the crap out that you don't need.

Doesn't kword from the koffice suite read word files and so does abiword, doesn't it? OO is still your best bet for complex documents though.

J.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: