Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
openoffice package?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: openoffice package? Reply with quote

I didnt know where to ask this since the forums have been mangled. no Gentoo suggestions. So I will put it in a place that has alot of traffic.

Is it possible to make a binary package from a ebuild?

then have portage install it?

it would be nice for openoffice. considering the openoffice-bin binaries are so broken and dont use freetype or AA fonts.

Someone could compile openoffice with basic gcc optimizations for i686 and use portage to make the binary package and then they could post it somewhere so we can start using openoffice 1.0.1
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: openoffice package? Reply with quote

dcstimm wrote:
Someone could compile openoffice with basic gcc optimizations for i686 and use portage to make the binary package and then they could post it somewhere so we can start using openoffice 1.0.1

I bet the binaries would take as much space as one stage3 -tarball on the mirrors :I

that 'someone' would need to have a lot of space available on the internet and a lot of bandwidth to waste ;)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that has an opinion on this subject, please read All binary Gentoo. This subject has come up many times, and has yet to generate more light than heat in any of the discussions that I have read.

Moving to Gentoo Chat and locking for posterity. dcstimm, we would love to hear your ideas (or anybody else's, for that matter) about how the forums could be organized better over in the feedback forum. Pretty much all of the posts in the previous Gentoo Suggestions forum have been rolled into Gentoo Chat. I'm unable to divine a constructive suggestion out of the "mangled" comment, but I'll take it as a general vote of "bad" on the recent reorganization.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: