Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How does 2.6.1 initrd get it's bootsplash? (Issue solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: How does 2.6.1 initrd get it's bootsplash? (Issue solved) Reply with quote

Issue solved:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=775773#775773

Similar issue: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=123063

Why is there no docs to explain this. And, why is it so impossible to find out who to contact to get the answer to this?

It irritates & confuses me that Gentoo even allows such a problem as above. Is this a closely guarded secret?

In compiling the 2.6.1 genkernel asks if you want it to copy bootsplash into the initrd image? Is this a closely guarded secret?

The exact quote is:

Quote:
# Copy bootsplash into the initrd image?
BOOTSPLASH="yes"

And the genkernel switch --bootsplash is:

Quote:
--bootsplash ..... Install bootsplash to initrd

I am never asked where it is, or which one I want...but it makes it.

Where does it come from?

How do I know what rez to set the framebuffer?

In the majority of any Democrat/Republican or Liberal/Conservative Debates on TV, pay close attention to how much MORE often the Liberal/Democrat butts in and rudely talks 'over' the Conservative/Republican.

Think about it...

Last edited by Nu-Bee_4VR on Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of bootsplash are you running? My version of bootsplash wont let me use that switch, I have seen that ver 3.0 will but it wont even compile the kernel right.

As far as the res check out /var/log/genkernel.log for any clues is all I could suggest.
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:
What version of bootsplash are you running? My version of bootsplash wont let me use that switch, I have seen that ver 3.0 will but it wont even compile the kernel right.

As far as the res check out /var/log/genkernel.log for any clues is all I could suggest.

That isn't a bootsplash switch...it is a genkernel switch.

Genkernel 3.0 has compiled both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels for me just fine...except for the initrd bootsplash.

I am in Gentoo right now through a kernel 2.6.1 compiled with genkernel 3.0.

And, genkernel.log is a zero-byte file.

In the majority of any Democrat/Republican or Liberal/Conservative Debates on TV, pay close attention to how much MORE often the Liberal/Democrat butts in and rudely talks 'over' the Conservative/Republican.

Think about it...
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing around with it a bit, It appears that they have made alot of changes to it. As for where it comes from look in /etc/genkernel.conf and /usr/share/genkernel

especially alot of info in /usr/share/genkernel/README

looks like something to play around with for alittle bit.
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:
Been playing around with it a bit, It appears that they have made alot of changes to it. As for where it comes from look in /etc/genkernel.conf and /usr/share/genkernel

especially alot of info in /usr/share/genkernel/README

looks like something to play around with for alittle bit.

I began with that info; I have read it 10 times...but I still can't find out where it gets this bootsplash.

The normal way of creating an initrd-800x600 will not work, it just locks the computer...and will overwrite the initrd that genkernel made.

Think about it...
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at the original topic for bootsplash on these forums. I think it's called "bootsplash topic of the year" or somesuch. it has all the information and support that you could ever imagine. it WILL solve your problems.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading from gen_initrd.sh:

if [ "${BOOTSPLASH}" -eq "1" ]
then
print_info 1 "initrd: copying bootsplash"
/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/gentoo/config/bootsplash-800x600.cfg >> ${TEMP}/initrd-loop || gen_die "could not copy 800x600 bootsplash"
/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/gentoo/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg >> ${TEMP}/initrd-loop || gen_die "could not copy 1024x768 bootsplash"
/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/gentoo/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg >> ${TEMP}/initrd-loop || gen_die "could not copy 1280x1024 bootsplash"
/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/gentoo/config/bootsplash-1600x1200.cfg >> ${TEMP}/initrd-loop || gen_die "could not copy 1600x1200 bootsplash"

It looks like it inserts all of these images into the initrd
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this in dmesg...

Quote:
bootsplash 3.1.3-2003/11/14: looking for picture..... silentjpeg size 21768 bytes, found (1024x768, 20089 bytes, v3).

But, there is no file called silentjpeg and sized 21768 bytes.

Here is the ls of that image directory:

Quote:
[root@tux images] # ls -al
total 324
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 11 20:01 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 3 09:40 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20029 Jan 11 10:32 bootsplash-1024x768.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26325 Jan 11 10:32 bootsplash-1280x1024.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33872 Jan 11 10:32 bootsplash-1600x1200.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17935 Jan 11 10:32 bootsplash-800x600.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21660 Jan 11 10:32 silent-1024x768.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 74963 Jan 11 10:32 silent-1280x1024.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 92939 Jan 11 10:32 silent-1600x1200.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10478 Jan 11 10:32 silent-800x600.jpg

And, why is it looking for 1024x768 when I specified vga=788 which is 800x600 :?: :?: :?:

And, I can only find:

Quote:
[root@tux root] # emerge -s bootsplash
Searching...
[ Results for search key : bootsplash ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* media-gfx/bootsplash
Latest version available: 0.6-r3
Latest version installed: 0.6-r3
Size of downloaded files: 302 kB
Homepage: http://linux.tkdack.com/
Description: Graphical backgrounds for frame buffer consoles

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: ...something is fishy in Denmark.

But, thank you for finding this for me; it gives me a new direction to examine.

Think about it...

Last edited by Nu-Bee_4VR on Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
look at the original topic for bootsplash on these forums. I think it's called "bootsplash topic of the year" or somesuch. it has all the information and support that you could ever imagine. it WILL solve your problems.

Cannot find this...

Think about it...
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main bootsplash threads are: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=52290 and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036.
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
The main bootsplash threads are: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=52290 and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036.

The second thread is in the "Documentation, Tips & Tricks" section in which several people have been chastised for posting help requests. And, no tip there has helped me. Therefore I did not post this there.

The first thread deals with using initrd with kernel 2.4 and although I read it through twice, did not see anything there to help me with this 2.6 kernel and genkernel 3.0 situation which is dealt with almost not at all there. And, this is supposed to be built in to 2.6.1 kernel...

Therefore...I began this thread...dealing specifically with the 2.6 kernel using genkernel 3.0.

Now, other than chastisement...do you have any helpful suggestions for getting this to work?

You may find this thread helpful:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=121387

Think about it...
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nu-Bee_4VR wrote:
You may find this thread helpful:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=121387

Why?

Nu-Bee_4VR wrote:
The first thread deals with using initrd with kernel 2.4 and although I read it through twice, did not see anything there to help me with this 2.6 kernel and genkernel 3.0 situation which is dealt with almost not at all there. And, this is supposed to be built in to 2.6.1 kernel...

Therefore...I began this thread...dealing specifically with the 2.6 kernel using genkernel 3.0.

As far as I know, bootsplash is not officially in the kernel as yet. It may be applied as a patch by gentoo-dev-sources if that's what you're using. I've never used genkernel so I'm not sure how much help I can be here. What I would suggest is rather than relying on genkernel to do everything for you, do things yourself. As far as I can see, most of the steps in the bootsplash howto thread are the same for 2.6 and 2.4. Just make sure you have the necessary options selected in the kernel config (bootsplash support, initrd support, framebuffer support etc). Then do whatever you do with genkernel to get it to compile the kernel and copy it over to /boot. Create the bootsplash initrd manually as it says in the howto:
Code:
/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg > /boot/initrd-1280x1024

Edit your grub/lilo.conf appropriately to indicate the filename of the initrd file, and set the correct framebuffer mode (remember it has to be 16 bit) and see what happens.
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I was trying to get the new genkernel to work but I may have to fall back on that. I am not just 'relying' on genkernel...I am working with it.

Genkernel isn't liked by a lot of people; I think that is why they are working on it. It does a -LOT- more than it used to.

I am sure that some people are having success with it, and that this just happens to be an incompatibility with my video card or something.

the new cards handle famebuffer well at higher resolutions, but I need 800x600 at 16 bit...and I think it might default to 1024x768 or something.

Think about it...
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nu-Bee_4VR wrote:
the new cards handle famebuffer well at higher resolutions, but I need 800x600 at 16 bit...and I think it might default to 1024x768 or something.

Are you setting the right mode number in your bootloader config? To set the framebuffer mode to 800x600 in 16 bit color, you would use "vga=0x314". The complete list of mode numbers are in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: