Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on my alphaworkstation 400a
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on my alphaworkstation 400a Reply with quote

I'm very please with gentoo on my PIII laptop but I realy want to install it on my alphastation 400a.
Please support it or send some help.

regards Sorcerer
Drizzt321
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a stage one port of gentoo onto alpha(found in the downloads section), but there is no easy boot/installer as of yet. join #gentoo-alpha on irc.freenode.net where a couple of us are around sometimes. there is the person who did the stage one port currently working on a bootable installer disk, so hang in there.
nE0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I have got the time, I will check it out.
I still have an Alpha Server 2100, Quad-way 200Mhz with 1GB RAM system in the closet..
Just laying there..
I would be pleased to get it working on that machine..
It's almost as big as a fridge but who cares.. :wink:

So I will try the stage 1 install & check it out..

We might be the ones writing the Alpha Install Manual though, but thats just to keep the others going..
Drizzt321
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I don't believe there is an install manual yet, however you might check out https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=15678 I've also emailed the one of the guys who has been doing some work on this, and got back this advice on getting it working:

------------------------------------------------
If you really want to get install-y, the simplest thing to do is to create a couple partitions, install a
minimal debian/redhat/whatever on one of them, get the .tbz2, follow the installation instructions starting with part 7 (mount partitions), mounting your free partition, extract the stage1 tarball onto the other partition, chroot, and go from there..
---------------------------------------------------

by his description, I'm assuming by starting with part7 he means out of these instructions http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/build.xml I'm going to be giving this a try soon, so I'll post here what I encountered. good luck!

Aaron
Anything I have posted may or may not be actual fact, take it as such and don't complain if what I say leads to a massive system vulnerability which gets hacked and your company has everything stolen and then nuked.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: