Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Just some simple easy newbie question here.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUG Mafia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Just some simple easy newbie question here. Reply with quote

Witch linux is the fastest with a nice graphical interface...

Thx for your time.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure what your question is, but let me take a stab at it. I'm assuming that you are asking which linux distrobution is the fastest and has a nice graphical interface (i.e. a graphical installer..). If this is wrong, please correct me.

I would use SuSE. This is an extremely simple to install and maintain distrobution. YaST, the graphical interface, is extremely nice and will be simple for any new linux user to figure out. As far as speed goes, the only distros that will offer a significant speed increase are source based distrobutions like Gentoo, Linux From Scratch, or Sorceror. None of these has a nice graphical interface. Gentoo is probably the easier of the three, but none of them is particularly simple for someone totally new to linux.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Just some simple easy newbie question here. Reply with quote

BUG Mafia wrote:
Witch linux is the fastest with a nice graphical interface...

I'm not too familiar with lots of different Linux distributions, but this Witch Linux sure sounds great. :lol:

If you're asking for a recommendation, you'll get lots of opinions, and since this is a Gentoo Linux forum, most of us are pretty biased towards Gentoo Linux here. You might want to check out a comparison site like http://www.distrowatch.com/ to see how several different distributions stack up.

If you decide to give Gentoo Linux a try, please come back and share your experiences with us. There's lots of useful information and helpful folks here.
gtroland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you got this wrong rac and Tristam29. Bug Mafia was simply making a new product announcement: Witch Linux, distributed by Wican Software Ltd., claims to be the fastest distro with the nicest graphical (actually pentagraphical) interface. Of course, Stonehenge Software, distributors of Druid Linux might disagree. They claim that their 6.6.6 version is the real speed deamon! :twisted:

- GTR -

P.S. Just kidding, of course!

Last edited by gtroland on Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Erukian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtroland how can these distro's compete with gentoo using march=pentium3 (or whatever processor you have) with tons of optimizations like -fomit-frame-pointer, malign-functions=4 etc.

Gentoo IS the fastest i've ever seen my computer run. Next in line would be mandrake compiled with gcc3.1 with i586.

Do those other distributions use faster software meaning different software that does stuff faster?

I just dont see how you can top gentoo. especially on the x86 platform.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erukian wrote:
Do those other distributions use faster software meaning different software that does stuff faster?

I just dont see how you can top gentoo. especially on the x86 platform.

Two words: supernatural assistance.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: