GentooX - Xbox - FatX Repair
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoCORE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: GentooX - Xbox - FatX Repair Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have installed my own hard drive into my xbox... unfortunately it's a little worse for wear. I have copied aroudn 25GB of games and videos to it... and basically, I have hit a bad sector, and unlike most systems, the xbox doesn't mark it as bad and move on, but repeatly attempts to write to it (or at least I believe this, cause it makes the sound as if my hard drive is being powered up and down over and over)

I was wondering if there was a tool I could use under gentooX to solve this :) I have already tried copying files over under gentooX in the hope that it would catch on, and move on... no luck.

Cheers

NeoCORE
Ekimus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ones I know are badblocks? fsck but only from x86 architectures, have you tried one off those? maybe the solution lies in simplicity :)
ShALLaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is, the microsoft software isnt designed to cater for badblocks, so even if you do manage to copy the files with Gentoox, youll still run into problems when running the XDK compiled software (i.e. savegames may become corrupted etc...). Go buy a new hdd! ;)
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to MS to not include simple drive checking. Mark a sector bad, remap it to a known good sector, and move on. You'd think they'd think od this stuff after a few decades.

--Kumba
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: