Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Wireless configuration and startup - The Gentoo way
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57, 58, 59  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhysem wrote:

My intel pro/wireless 2100 and linksys wifi/router disagree with you. I can successfully set the essid to jbooth. IWconfig then reports ESSID: "" and AP: FF:FF...

Set the key with iwconfig (without setting anything else such as essid) and then; ESSID: "jbooth" and AP: 00:06:...

It doesn't matter if I set the essid first or the key first, I don't pick up the AP's mac addy until such time as I have the key and the essid set properly.

FWIW, I have WEP required on the AP, not just "allowed".

Is your AP broadcasting it's SSID?
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind - I've posted a new version that should fix that for you.

Do we still need to find where to put the sleeps?
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't work, when i plugged it in the light went on but nothing happened in dmesg or /var/log/messages to tell me, both ath0 and eth1 failed. oh well. i'll try again when i get the chance
Tripwire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripwire wrote:

After waiting litterally about 5 minutes :? , yes it worked. :) Signal strength is not bad compared to what I usually get under XP (16/92 in Gentoo, 14-22% under XP) :)

Ok. Now I'm confused. I edited the startup scripts to bring wlan0 up automatically. But it won't start up from the net.wlan0 script. dhcpcd times out. But if I run the exact same dhcpcd command from the command line it takes a couple of seconds at most before I get an IP address.

The net.wlan0 script is a hard link to the net.eth0 script, and my /etc/conf.d/net config file shows one entry for wlan0:
iface_wlan0="dhcp"

when I do /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start, it sits for ~2 minutes, then gives up. If I do a ps ax | grep dhcpcd in another virtual terminal while it's waiting I see the command line:

/sbin/dhcpcd wlan0

if I run that from the script, it will fail, if I run that from the command line, it works fine.

Any ideas on this one?

:?: :?
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
Never mind - I've posted a new version that should fix that for you.

Do we still need to find where to put the sleeps?

It decided at some point it didn't need sleeps -- I think it was related to picking up the wrong AP possibly, or may have been due to ndiswrapper just flak'in out.
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripwire wrote:
Tripwire wrote:

After waiting litterally about 5 minutes :? , yes it worked. :) Signal strength is not bad compared to what I usually get under XP (16/92 in Gentoo, 14-22% under XP) :)

Ok. Now I'm confused. I edited the startup scripts to bring wlan0 up automatically. But it won't start up from the net.wlan0 script. dhcpcd times out. But if I run the exact same dhcpcd command from the command line it takes a couple of seconds at most before I get an IP address.

The net.wlan0 script is a hard link to the net.eth0 script, and my /etc/conf.d/net config file shows one entry for wlan0:
iface_wlan0="dhcp"

when I do /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start, it sits for ~2 minutes, then gives up. If I do a ps ax | grep dhcpcd in another virtual terminal while it's waiting I see the command line:

/sbin/dhcpcd wlan0

if I run that from the script, it will fail, if I run that from the command line, it works fine.

Any ideas on this one?

:?: :?

I was having issues similar to that when I first stuck net.wlan0 in my rc-scripts, because when it invoked the script all it did was load the ndiswrapper module, not configure the inerface in any way. If you're having the same thing happen, maybe it's trying to dhcp on a down/unconfigured interface.

Have you added whatever module runs your wlan0 to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.x?
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:

It has been, but I'd like to turn it back off. Windows doesn't have a problem associating with it or the other pref'd network even if it isn't broadcasting. Might require tweaking of the script tho, since I think the script tries to see if the preferred APs can are in the found list.

Perhaps if finding pref'd in the list doesn't work, then after that it should try configuring pref'd in order and see if any pick up.
maj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
maj wrote:

:D works brilliantly cheers, you update the net.ath0 script aswell? got the version on the site just now, changed name to net.wlan0 and it works better than before (removed all refrence to rdg.ac.uk from the files this morning, put my home and preferred essid into the correct var but it would only connect to rdg.ac.uk even though it saw the preferred AP)

yay!

So does it work or doesn't it? I'm confused :?
If it's not picking the correct AP, then post the wireless_* part of the /etc/conf.d/net and I'll have a look

sorry was doing a couple of things at the same time as replying - yeah this version works perfectly, the version i got yesterday just connected to the first access point it found rather than connecting in the preferred order, now it connects to a preferred one first - exactly as required :D
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version again.

I broke the scanning code for Athereos users - we need to bring up the interface before scanning.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhysem wrote:
UberLord wrote:

It has been, but I'd like to turn it back off. Windows doesn't have a problem associating with it or the other pref'd network even if it isn't broadcasting. Might require tweaking of the script tho, since I think the script tries to see if the preferred APs can are in the found list.

Perhaps if finding pref'd in the list doesn't work, then after that it should try configuring pref'd in order and see if any pick up.

Done :)

If no AP's are found then it tries to forceably connect to the preferred list.
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connects to the list fine, but I was still having the "everything is set right, I transmit but receive nothing back" issue.

Copying the iwconfig essid 5-line stanza in asociate_wireless after the keysetting (moving it after works as well as copying does) seems to work.

I'm not sure why it's the case, but multiple tests of both ways show key then essid works, essid then key doesn't work so well. Probalby ndiswrapper's fault, but I couldn't say for sure.

I'm not sure if you want to make a total copy of that block or want an option for potentially broken cards/drivers.

Other than that, works great. I turned off essid broadcast and it still picks it up correctly. :-)
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with that change - works fine with my cards :)

As such, I've posted a new version 8)

Anyone got any more problems or features they want :?:
ryandlugosz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:

Anyone got any more problems or features they want :?:

Sorry that it's been awhile... I Just loaded the new version this evening. I'm using your vanilla script as net.wlan0. I've set up the basics in conf.d/net

I'm using the ndiswrapper to load up the windows driver - using 0.4 of their software. I have the following in my modules.conf:
Code:
alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
options ndiswrapper if_name=wlan0
install ndiswrapper /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ndiswrapper; /usr/sbin/loadndisdriver 14e4 4320 /lib/windrivers/bcmwl5.sys /lib/windrivers/bcmwl5.inf

Now, if I don't put "ndiswrapper" into my modules.autoload, the first time net.wlan0 executes it fails, but then I can re-run net.wlan0 start and it will bring everything up as it should. If I DO have "ndiswrapper" in my modules.autoload, I get "run depscan.sh" errors just after the system runs "Caching service dependencies".

Any thoughts on why this is happeneing? Thanks for the work on the script, btw.

-Ryan
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best check that problem with Rhysem as he's got experience with the NDISwrapper whereas I have not :(
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have answered last night if I knew the answer. :-P

I never got depscan.sh errors. What I added to get it to autoload was:

/etc/modules.d/ndiswrapper --

Code:

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
install ndiswrapper /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ndiswrapper;/usr/sbin/loadndisdriver 8086 1043 /lib/windrivers/w70n51.sys /lib/windrivers/w70n51.inf

You have an updated version of the script, right, named the right thing? (don't have a missing net.ath0 in rc-startup somewhere?)
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a valid point.
Check /etc/runlevels/default and /etc/runlevels/boot for broken sym links.
ryandlugosz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhysem wrote:
What I added to get it to autoload was:

Yeah - tried it with the script that was current as of yesterday evening. So... do you have anything in your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file? When I put ndiswrapper in there the depscan probs happen. If I don't put it in there, then I get issues with the net.wlan0 script not connecting the first time through.

Did you rename the script to net.wlan0, or just leave it as ath0? It almost looks like something happens when that driver loads (when in modules.autoload) that causes the net.wlan0 script to be looked into prematurely? I'm not exactly sure at this point what the relationship is...
ryandlugosz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
That's a valid point.
Check /etc/runlevels/default and /etc/runlevels/boot for broken sym links.

I'll check that when I'm at home (the laptop forgot to come into work with me today) :)

Thanks
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryandlugosz wrote:
I'll check that when I'm at home (the laptop forgot to come into work with me today) :)

You're positive you didn't forget it :P
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhysem wrote:
I've been thinking some more about this and I'm not sure that a rc-script in etc is the right solution. It's better than where we were, for sure, but what you'd really like would be a daemon process that would keep scanning wifi networks if you lost the old one.

Good news - this works fine with ifplugd!
This means that when the AP is out of range, the interface is brought down.
When it gets back in range of any AP, the interface is brought up.

However, I'm now getting the dependancy errors as noted above - but only when the script is invoked by ifplugd. :(

I'll see if I can resolve the problem.
ryandlugosz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:

I had tried this back in the day (last week) with ifplugd and also got the dependency issues... hopefully they're all related somehow.

On a related note, has there been any thought to how turning off the wireless radio could be handled? This is useful if you have an internal card and know that you want to stay off the lan (for either power or "radio silence" reasons). This functionality may be handled best by a key-bound acpid action or something to that affect.

-Ryan
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it and it seems to work! I've been looking for the "gentoo way" to configure wlans. I'm glad I found it! Will the scripts be added to gentoo? I'm working on an ebuild for atmel-based wlan cards (Links wusb11 2.6, etc) :)
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryandlugosz wrote:
Rhysem wrote:
What I added to get it to autoload was:

Yeah - tried it with the script that was current as of yesterday evening. So... do you have anything in your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file? When I put ndiswrapper in there the depscan probs happen. If I don't put it in there, then I get issues with the net.wlan0 script not connecting the first time through.

Did you rename the script to net.wlan0, or just leave it as ath0? It almost looks like something happens when that driver loads (when in modules.autoload) that causes the net.wlan0 script to be looked into prematurely? I'm not exactly sure at this point what the relationship is...

I renamed the script net.wlan0, and I have "wlan0" in the autoload file. Sorry I didn't include that earlier.
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryandlugosz wrote:
UberLord wrote:

I had tried this back in the day (last week) with ifplugd and also got the dependency issues... hopefully they're all related somehow.

On a related note, has there been any thought to how turning off the wireless radio could be handled? This is useful if you have an internal card and know that you want to stay off the lan (for either power or "radio silence" reasons). This functionality may be handled best by a key-bound acpid action or something to that affect.

-Ryan

My laptop has Fn+F2 turn on and off the intel pro/wifi chipset. (Dell Inspiron 300m)

It didn't work untill I got BIOS A04 loaded on the machine. I'm not sure if the DSDT fix I did is related to that working or not, but I did do a DSDT fix as well. I'm running gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.1-r1 I think.
ryandlugosz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhysem wrote:

It didn't work untill I got BIOS A04 loaded on the machine. I'm not sure if the DSDT fix I did is related to that working or not, but I did do a DSDT fix as well. I'm running gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.1-r1 I think.

Ah. I've got a dell 8500 & I've done the a05 bios dsdt fix. Not sure if FN+F2 works as it should; I don't think I've tried it since getting the dsdt to work. how can you tell if the radio is off?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 4 of 59

Jump to: