Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Wireless configuration and startup - The Gentoo way
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 57, 58, 59  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhysem wrote:
I'll try to find where pauses are needed, but I'm at work at the moment which may make things more difficult. ;) We have wifi, but I won't be able to verify picking the right AP as there's only one in range.

You won't be able to test that until I post my new version - which I can't do atm as my home ADSL/server is down :(

Hopefully I can bring it online when I get home tonight :)
Tripwire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
This shows that you're not getting anything that the driver can understand. The link quality is 0 - which means you'll get nothing
Invalid misc:35 - means that it is getting something but the driver is not sure what.

Are you hardcoding the access points MAC address?

Nope. In fact the MAC listed for the AP is actually the NIC's MAC. Nothing is hard coded except the network ID. I'm using the same laptop with the same card on the same network right now under XP to post this message. But if I boot into Gentoo, 0 link quality.

I have confirmed the network ID (SSID) indeed is "Wireless", so I'm out of ideas.

Why can I see the network under XP, but if I do not change anything except booting under Gentoo, I cannot see the network. Even the position/locationh of the laptop is unchanged.

One thing that may be of point. iwconfig says sensitivitiy is 1/3 (one third of max, right?). Under XP I can connect but the signal strength is routinely very low (<20%).

Might it find things ok if I set the sensitivity higher? How do I do that?
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following

Code:

ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 essid "dddd"
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig

The essid should now be "dddd" and the MAC address should be either FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF or 44:44:44:44:44:44

now do
Code:

iwconfig wlan0 essid any
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig

Now, iwconfig should report the ESSID of the AP, it's MAC address and the signal quality. If this works, then don't panic - I have a new script to cater for this scenario.

If you're running DHCP you can now do
Code:
dhcpcd wlan0
and you should have working network!
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spotted that the wireless mode you're running is "Master". It needs to be "Managed"

Code:
iwconfig wlan0 mode master
Tripwire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
Try the following

Code:

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig

The essid should now be "dddd" and the MAC address should be either FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF or 44:44:44:44:44:44

Ok... I'll try it..
UberLord wrote:

now do
Code:

iwconfig wlan0 essid any
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig

Now, iwconfig should report the ESSID of the AP, it's MAC address and the signal quality. If this works, then don't panic - I have a new script to cater for this scenario.

Code:
dhcpcd wlan0

I mentioned before that my driver does not support essid of "any".

I'll try this though...

Thanks!
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripwire wrote:

I mentioned before that my driver does not support essid of "any".

Try
Code:
iwconfig wlan0 ap any

instead then
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New versions posted :) I've added some more configuration options as well.
maj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh - i was just thinking about trying to write a script to connect to found accesspoints in a specific order - quite glad i found this!!

i only have one problem with it though - an access point name that i use has .'s in it - "rdg.ac.uk"...

Code:

./net.wlan0 start
/sbin/runscript.sh: line 66: wireless_iface_rdg.ac.uk=dhcp: command not found
/sbin/runscript.sh: line 67: wireless_dhcpcd_rdg.ac.uk=-h minimaj -D -t 5: command not found

havent tried connecting to this access point yet as am at home and not on campus, script continues to run fine and connect to the access point at home though :D

cheers for it!

[edit]...

hrm have just emerged something and a load of errors appeared in the output regarding the above lines - for some reason it gives the error 3 times regarding both lines... meh!!![/code]

Last edited by maj on Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maj wrote:
i only have one problem with it though - an access point name that i use has .'s in it - "rdg.ac.uk"...

Hmmmmmmm

I'll see if I can fix this tomorrow. Now, I'm off for some fine food and some fine wine :)
maj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
maj wrote:

Hmmmmmmm

I'll see if I can fix this tomorrow. Now, I'm off for some fine food and some fine wine :)

heh, you have your priorities well laid out! good call!
Tripwire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
Try the following

Code:

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig

after setting the mode to managed instead of master, which in turn enabled the essid any option to work, I have gotten this far.
uberLord wrote:

now do
Code:

iwconfig wlan0 essid any
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig

Code:
dhcpcd wlan0

After waiting litterally about 5 minutes :? , yes it worked. :) Signal strength is not bad compared to what I usually get under XP (16/92 in Gentoo, 14-22% under XP) :)

So now all that is left is three things:

1) a way to automate things
2) a way to speed up the wireless connection (waiting 5 minutes is kinda nuts)
3) to find a tutorial on using an 802.11b nic in my server at home to act as an AP since I don't have the $$ to buy a full AP but can probably scrounge up enough for an OK PCI NIC.

Any help on any of those is greatly appreciated, as is your help to date!
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna try this tomorow with a friends WiFi card, set it up ok i think :-) got his driver support added into kernel, fingers crossed :-D

without the card in i get this in /var/log/messages
modprobe: cannot locate module ath0

not sure why though. i'll just hope for the best. :-)
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the newest script. I tried setting delay to "1", but it's not having. It tries and fails to associate with my AP. It does select "jbooth" now out of the list of APs available, but fails to actually make the association. It looks like it's forgetting to set the wireless key.

Well it selects it sometime. Found (in order): decrepid13, linksys, jbooth, Apt, #103, NETGEAR. Chose to associate: decrepid13. Should have chose: jbooth. This happened when I had iface_wlan0 set to dhcp (see below). When I unset it, it cleared up and started using (but failing to associate) jbooth.

It gets upset if wlan0 isn't loaded to start with, complaining iface_wlan0 isn't set. If you set it, it loads the module but doesn't actually start a darn thing.
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh. Okay, found the "why it won't pick jbooth"

Reason is you changed the spelling of preferred to have two rs (like it should, I think). The old script wanted only 1.
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason it won't associate is because the key never gets set during the trying-to-associate phase.

Add in the keysetting lines right after setting the essid in associate_wireless() and it works great.

(keysetting lines I used:)

setup_essid_env
$IWCONFIG $IFACE key ${key_IFACE} 2>/dev/null || {
if [ "${key_IFACE}" != "off" ]; then
ewarn "${IFACE} does not support setting keys"
fi
}
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the Orinoco driver do i need to change all "ath0" to "eth1" or something? i wil not have my pcmcia network card in so will that make it eth0? (this could get confusing, i hope someone replys quickly so i can have it ready :-)(bout 15 mins till midnight)
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added wlan0 to modules.autoload, put net.wlan0 as a default boot script and VOLA, I get net. :-)

Well, okay, I had to back off and reload the ndiswrapper module because it decided that this boot it didn't really want to be able to scan for APs. But after that and running net.wlan0 by hand, it worked!

Thanks for the help and the script. *woot*
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viperlin wrote:
for the Orinoco driver do i need to change all "ath0" to "eth1" or something? i wil not have my pcmcia network card in so will that make it eth0? (this could get confusing, i hope someone replys quickly so i can have it ready :-)(bout 15 mins till midnight)

Change ath0 to whatever the orinoco driver calls your wifi card. It'll list it in 'iwconfig'.
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhysem wrote:
viperlin wrote:

Change ath0 to whatever the orinoco driver calls your wifi card. It'll list it in 'iwconfig'.

thanks for that, i'm pretty sure it uses standard eth0 format, eth1 eth2, etc.

sadly this will clash with my normal network card settings and i cannot have 2 plugged in at once, oh well. i will just hope and work on it tomorow, i'll try and remember to post my results back.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viperlin wrote:
sadly this will clash with my normal network card settings and i cannot have 2 plugged in at once, oh well. i will just hope and work on it tomorow, i'll try and remember to post my results back.

No it won't.
I have ethernet and an orinoco card in my lappy.
Ethernet is eth0
Orinoco is eth1

There's no clash :)
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhysem wrote:
The reason it won't associate is because the key never gets set during the trying-to-associate phase.

You should never need a key to associate with the access point! At least, I don't @ home and work and both AP's have WEP enabled. WEP is purely for encrypting the traffic - not for association.

Besides, I can't do that for orinoco users as to get "any" essid to pickup an AP I have to set the key after the AP is found.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maj wrote:

New versions posted which solves this problem!

See the net file for configuring this :)
maj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
maj wrote:

New versions posted which solves this problem!

See the net file for configuring this :)

:D works brilliantly cheers, you update the net.ath0 script aswell? got the version on the site just now, changed name to net.wlan0 and it works better than before (removed all refrence to rdg.ac.uk from the files this morning, put my home and preferred essid into the correct var but it would only connect to rdg.ac.uk even though it saw the preferred AP)

yay!
Rhysem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
Rhysem wrote:

You should never need a key to associate with the access point! At least, I don't @ home and work and both AP's have WEP enabled. WEP is purely for encrypting the traffic - not for association.

Besides, I can't do that for orinoco users as to get "any" essid to pickup an AP I have to set the key after the AP is found.

My intel pro/wireless 2100 and linksys wifi/router disagree with you. I can successfully set the essid to jbooth. IWconfig then reports ESSID: "" and AP: FF:FF...

Set the key with iwconfig (without setting anything else such as essid) and then; ESSID: "jbooth" and AP: 00:06:...

It doesn't matter if I set the essid first or the key first, I don't pick up the AP's mac addy until such time as I have the key and the essid set properly.

FWIW, I have WEP required on the AP, not just "allowed".
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maj wrote:

:D works brilliantly cheers, you update the net.ath0 script aswell? got the version on the site just now, changed name to net.wlan0 and it works better than before (removed all refrence to rdg.ac.uk from the files this morning, put my home and preferred essid into the correct var but it would only connect to rdg.ac.uk even though it saw the preferred AP)

yay!

So does it work or doesn't it? I'm confused :?
If it's not picking the correct AP, then post the wireless_* part of the /etc/conf.d/net and I'll have a look
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 3 of 59

Jump to: