Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing Gentoo with a modem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adelante

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo with a modem Reply with quote

I found the installation instructions pretty easy to understand, except the fact that there is no documentation about installing it with just a normal modem.

I'm not connected to any network, and i just have a normal modem, time isnt the problem, its how or what do i do to get this whole process right?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to need a (preferably fast) network connection at least temporarily. See the FAQ entry about "I have only slow modem connection at home. Can I download sources somewhere else and add them to my system?".
Adelante

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no u see, i dont have a problem until after the kernel config, where i have to install the system logger, thats my problem, cause wont emerge need the net so it can get the package?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adelante wrote:
i have to install the system logger, thats my problem, cause wont emerge need the net so it can get the package?

The system logger is the least of your problems, which is why I said you will need a network connection at least temporarily. You are going to need to download a lot of sources to get your system into a usable state.
Adelante

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why wasn't Gentoo ever made so that it could work off a standard modem?

Cause there are two reasons why i cant do the network thing...

1. I dont know of any network i can hookup to
2. i live in South Africa... our ISDN only works at like 64k, and thats on a Good Day. we dont even have ADSL, so feel sorry for us.

So i guess its back to FreeBSD for me then.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is a distro that pretty much requires high-speed Internet access. It wasn't designed to work over a modem because high-speed always-on Internet access is plentiful (a number of places, at least) and Gentoo can then take advantage of it (new programs within minutes of their release, for instance).
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: modem? Reply with quote

It would be faster to order the CD from china. It took me 3 days to install with a 2mbps connection and I was seeing at least 1.5mbps on all transfers.
timbo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have high speed internet access because the telco's want toooooo much money for it.

Granted it did take a realllllly long time but I have a fully functioning Gentoo 1.2 system. Download the stage 3 ISO and burn it onto a disk then you can get Gentoo running, as I have a Lucent modem I had to pull over ltmodem and wvdial from my Mandrake setup compiled them then I had an internet connection.

Next up was X and fluxbox, mozilla and KDE soon followd. Just waiting for an openoffice 1.0.1 ebuild.

Regards
Tim
8)
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to build an installation CD that contained the sources to the most common downloads, especially the larger files, such as KDE, Gnome, X, ...

I'd love to know how to do this, so I could give CD's out to friends and not frighten them with "oh, it only takes 6 hours to install..."
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OdinsDream wrote:
Would it be possible to build an installation CD that contained the sources [...] I'd love to know how to do this

Maybe you'd be interested in this project.
Vann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:33 am    Post subject: Gentoo on a modem Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo over my 56k modem. All you have to do is set up chat/pppd properly in the place of the ethernet stuff listed in the Gentoo install. If you want me to go into more detail, I can.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vann,
I'd like to see what you did, if it's not too much trouble. I'm sure others would too.I just downloaded the stage3 1.4 tarball(90MB) on my 56k. I have it on one computer (linux), but really want to burn it to a cd and install on another completely empty hard drive. Any suggestions? I haven't figured out how it would be done yet, even though I've read and re-read the install guide, and had some answers on this forum. Is there a way I can burn it to a cd, then boot off that cd to the new drive. Would I need to use a boot floppy to get going, or is the cd going to be bootable? This is the 1.4 (non-beta) they just posted ont the ftp ibiblio site.
Thanks,
wrc1944
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: