Trying SuSE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beattie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Trying SuSE Reply with quote

I reclaimed a p3 550 from my sister who just got a new computer for college. Since it's slower, and I like playing with different distros, I think I am going to install SuSE on it. I have used Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, and FreeBSD in the past but now I use Gentoo on my desktop. Anyway, I am looking for what you think of SuSE, especially versus Mandrake and Red Hat (since they are all RPM based). What are the differences that may throw me off?
Scandium
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if people hear SuSE they think of Germany.
If Germans hear SuSE they think of another distro :)

SuSE has some great guys (Andrea Arcangeli, Dave Jones...) but the Distro isn't perfect..I'd really recommend Mandrake 9 to someone who wants to go this way...SuSE is good for germans of course, because it has perfect german language support ;)

There are some other nice goodies, but I'd recommend waiting for the next version....just my opinion from what I've heard from other suse users...I havn't tried SuSE myself for over a year now
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandium wrote:
:lol:

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used SuSE through the 7.3 version and I have to say that it's my second favorite distro (behind gentoo). I probably wouldn't go back, but since you are looking to experiment here's why I like SuSE.

YaST2 is awesome. It's the easiest system configurator availible in Linux distros IMHO.

SuSE tends to lean more on the KDE side of things and I did too when I was using it. I have since found fluxbox and don't use KDE as much.

SuSE is pretty quick with it's updates and in general just plain easy to deal with. I like their firewall scripts. I think they are called SuSE-firewall and SuSE-firewall2 or something like that with the second one being iptables and the first being ipchains.

Anyhow, that being said. Gentoo is the far more fun distrobution because you have total control of everything. In SuSE there are a lot of things that are setup for you by default.
bmc84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, SuSE is just your distro of choice, if you want a complete working os on your desktop and you never want to customize something.
Yast is a handsome tool to manage the core settings of a linux system, but when you try to customize a config file or something yourself you'll run into troubles...

Scandium wrote:

SuSE is good for germans of course, because it has perfect german language support ;)

This may be true, but the first I make sure when installing a system, that there's no native language support, or something, because it's getting chaoticly, if you have a german-interface kde app, a english man page and some semi translated english-german mix of output and error msg ...

Mandrake may be a better choice, its available as free iso, they are going to release a gcc3 version, with better performance and it has no SuSE factor of config file eating YaST. Mandrake also has better hardware detection than any other distro I know.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmc84 wrote:

Yast is a handsome tool to manage the core settings of a linux system, but when you try to customize a config file or something yourself you'll run into troubles...

The last version of SuSE I used was 6.3 but even then you could configure everything! by hand if you wanted to, like you can do with Mandrake or Red Hat too. You can disable Yast completly or just parts of it. For example it had an option to not generate a sendmail config file for you. So when you wrote some complicated configuration file for sendmail by yourself (and not using Yast for that task), you just told Yast to not overwrite it and be done. There were similar options for other parts of the system. Of course you also always have the option to modify/disable/adding too all those SuSE scripts like you have in every other distro (I wouldn't call that 'troubles'). This "Yast eats my config files" is a myth (well I think it was true a long long time ago), but todays Yast is your slave and only touches the config files which you tell him to touch.

Cheers,
Andreas
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandium wrote:

It's funny, but most people/businesses I know here in Germany use not SuSE but Red Hat. On the other hand I heared that SuSE sells very very well in USA. ;-)
bmc84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimon wrote:
Scandium wrote:

It's funny, but most people/businesses I know here in Germany use not SuSE but Red Hat. On the other hand I heared that SuSE sells very very well in USA. ;-)

I thought Mandrake sells so good in USA ... maybe SuSE too.
Most people i know only use Debian and would never use anything else :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WooHoo, SuSE is LSB compliant. Here's the slashdot article. Too bad they can't emerge.. :)
Megaptera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: SuSE Reply with quote

I'd say SuSE is a very decent distro for a system like you're describing. My opinion of it is that it strikes a good balance between speed of and flexibility of configuration, mostly because of the YAST system, and I never ran into any serious issues with it, except for the ones I created for myself-- SuSE 7.3 was my first serious attempt at learning Linux, so I did have a couple learning experiences, so to speak :)
I've never used RedHat--their boot isos don't like the way I have my drives set up, and I just haven't really had enough interest--and Mandrake seemed too cartoony for me to keep more than a few days without wanting to try out more distros, so I couldn't really compare day-to-day use on them. I had KDE 3.0/Gnome 1.4 running nicely with SuSE 8.0, and this machine is only a PIII450, so I wouldn't expect any serious performance issues as long as you're conservative with the eye candy and have a modest amount of RAM.
Regarding the SuSE isos, yeah, they're not free-- but there is a net installer boot cd that'll ftp the system off of a SuSE mirror. Just be sure to get find one you like and get the ip address beforehand, and you'll be fine. (I think it's safe to assume you don't mind downloading your system, what with you being a Gentoo user :) )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: