"emerge --pretend --update --emptytree world"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachaef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: "emerge --pretend --update --emptytree world" Reply with quote

emerge --pretend --update --emptytree world should return quite a complete list of all the packages on my system, right? well, it does not. I also tried emerge --pretend --emptytree world only, but in both cases there are a lot of packages missing in the list, like kde, evolution, xmms and others, even though I have explicitly emerged them and they are listed in the /var/cache/edb/world file. Any ideas?

thanks
rachaef
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. The --emptytree option only pretends that no dependencies are installed. So, it will only list packages that other packages depend on. On your system, I'm guessing no package depends on xmms, so it's not going to be listed with the --emtpytree option. To quote the manual:

Quote:
--emptytree : This option makes Portage pretend that none of the dependencies of this package or the packages it depends upon are installed. This is useful with --pretend to display a complete tree of dependencies for any particular package. All dependencies except for glibc are displayed

At least, that's my understanding of how it's supposed to work.

--kurt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: bad question Reply with quote

It`s really bad question, but have you done emerge rsync to take the newest ebuild tree from gantoo cvs ??
rachaef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Not necessarily. The --emptytree option only pretends that no dependencies are installed. So, it will only list packages that other packages depend on. On your system, I'm guessing no package depends on xmms, so it's not going to be listed with the --emtpytree option.

Plausible enough...yet here is what the Portage manual says about this:

Quote:
An interesting side effect of how world update works can be exploited by users wishing to recompile all installed software on a system. Since world update will try to update all packages mentioned in the world file and their dependencies, the use of the argument --emptytree is a way of forcing the recompile of these packages and every dependency except for glibc. This can be useful for users wishing to change their compiler options or USE keyword settings and want these changes to be used by all the software they use without manually remerging every package. Simply populate the world file with all your commonly used applications and issue the following command:

Code listing 18

emerge --update world --emptytree

In a way the manual is right: the "emerge --update world --emptytree" command will update all the updateable packages (packages which have a newer version available in the portage tree than the one installed) in /var/cache/edb/world and all their dependencies. But what if I just want to recompile and remerge really everything, including all the packages I have the newest versions of?

Anonymous wrote:

It`s really bad question, but have you done emerge rsync to take the newest ebuild tree from gantoo cvs ?

I have :)
jingai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump.. i'd like to know the answer to this one as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the exact same problems. It seems like doing this just updates the "system" ebuilds and not the ebuilds located in world.
jingai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I am having the exact same problems. It seems like doing this just updates the "system" ebuilds and not the ebuilds located in world.

well, my problem is that 'world' is not a list of all packages on the system. from what i understand, it is a list of packages you have manually emerged ("favorites", the manual says). this is fine and dandy, but it means it won't recompile the dependencies.

surely there is a way to produce a listing of ALL installed packages. if there is, we could simply do "emerge `<some_cool_list_command`" and go to sleep.
dArkMaGE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree
i lke the idea of having world being a "favorites list"
but i think we also really need an all option too.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dArkMaGE wrote:
i agree
i lke the idea of having world being a "favorites list"
but i think we also really need an all option too.

Sounds like a great topic for the Gentoo Suggestions forum. :)

--kurt
TeraTorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Definately Reply with quote

I agree there should be an easy way to recompile all packages. Right now im throwing together a little python to get a list of installed packages w/o version numbers, perhaps throwing that on the system "profile" would allow a single command to recompile everything. Ill post again if I come up with something reasonably reliable.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what you want rachaef:

Code:

emerge epm

then

Code:

epm -qa

You now know what exactally you have installed on your system :)
rachaef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:

Code:

epm -qa

Neat...I knew I should take a closer look at that epm package :) Thanks.
A more elegant solution like an "all" target for emerge would be nice, though. Curious if that's planned for Portage 2...

rachaef
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: