View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake... Something had gone wrong with the emerge-ing here and I had no pand & dund... 8)

Well, I've now been able to follow your tutorial all the way to point 5. Since I have a HP iPAQ 2210 instead of a Palm, I'm getting a bit lost here... :?

Is there anybody out there who has gotten this to work with an iPAQ?
dhabersa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meulie wrote:

Why, yes. I just got it working on my hp 2200 a few minutes ago! I take it you're having problems configuring the iPAQ to communicate properly? I'll try to list what I did to get mine working, though I haven't yet tried syncing it, just internet.

1. Go to the bluetooth manager (one way is by clicking on the bluetooth taskbar icon).
2. Follow the directions and tap "New > Connect!"
3. Select "Connect to the Internet" and click next. I don't think you can just use the explore option, otherwise you don't get the dialog to setup a bluetooth null modem (needed for IE to connect).
4. Choose the default "Connect via a LAN access point..." and hit next.
5. Click on the device box to scan for available devices. Your PC, when properly configured, should register. Just select it and contiune.
6. If you haven't already setup a paired connection (Tools>paired devices from bluetooth manager), go ahead and enter the PIN you setup earlier. Click okay in the top right corner.
7. You need to create a shortcut at this next screen, just call it want and then enable secure, encrypted connection (recommended!).
8. Next, the PDA should attempt to log on, prompting you with username, password, and domain. leave these all blank and hit okay.
9. You're all done now. Go ahead and test the connection by browsing the web or doing whatever you'd like.

Hope that helps!
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll try to list what I did to get mine working, though I haven't yet tried syncing it, just internet.

If you manage to get syncing working, and are willing to write instructions, I would be happy to add them (plus the above steps) to the howto. Thanks!

Also, I just updated the howto to reflect the removal of bluez-(pan|sdp) for >2.7, fyi.
dhabersa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably point out for people that I'm running PPC 2003; I don't know how any of the os-specific setup changes for other versions.

I was able to get my iPAQ to open an ActiveSync connection with my linux box over bluetooth by following the directions at http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/setup.php.

There's only a few additional steps from what you've already supplied listed there, which I'll repeat here for clarity.

1. Changed device class in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf from 0x100 to 0x114. I don't know if this was actually necessary. I believe 0x114 is the class for my PDA (I think 0x110 would be for a 'clam-shell' style PDA, if you follow their link on the topic).

2. Start dund.
Code:
dund --listen --msdun call dun

3. Advertise the serial profile.
Code:
sdptool add SP

4. To make it resume upon startup, add the following lines to your /etc/conf.d/local.start:
Code:
/usr/bin/dund --listen --msdun call dun
/usr/bin/sudo -u [i]username[/i] /usr/bin/dccm

5. In the Bluetooth Manager on the PDA, click on "New>Connect!"

6. Select "ActiveSync via Bluetooth"

7. Tap through until you see the device selection screen. Click in the box and you should see your desktop on the list. Select it and the PDA should try to make a quick connection to it.

8. On the next screen, go ahead and name your connection and check the secure and encrypted box (recommended).

9. Setup is done. Your PDA should now be able to connect to your dekstop with ActiveSync over bluetooth.

From here, you should be able to use the simple synce tools to transfer files to and from your PDA.

When I get a chance, my next goal is to get my iPAQ syncing with Ximian Evolution. I'll be happy to post the steps I take once I've figured them out.

Later!
Stubbs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to make DUN use DHCP?
meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhabersa wrote:
meulie wrote:

Why, yes. I just got it working on my hp 2200 a few minutes ago! I take it you're having problems configuring the iPAQ to communicate properly? I'll try to list what I did to get mine working, though I haven't yet tried syncing it, just internet.

1. Go to the bluetooth manager (one way is by clicking on the bluetooth taskbar icon).
2. Follow the directions and tap "New > Connect!"
3. Select "Connect to the Internet" and click next. I don't think you can just use the explore option, otherwise you don't get the dialog to setup a bluetooth null modem (needed for IE to connect).
4. Choose the default "Connect via a LAN access point..." and hit next.
5. Click on the device box to scan for available devices. Your PC, when properly configured, should register. Just select it and contiune.
6. If you haven't already setup a paired connection (Tools>paired devices from bluetooth manager), go ahead and enter the PIN you setup earlier. Click okay in the top right corner.
7. You need to create a shortcut at this next screen, just call it want and then enable secure, encrypted connection (recommended!).
8. Next, the PDA should attempt to log on, prompting you with username, password, and domain. leave these all blank and hit okay.
9. You're all done now. Go ahead and test the connection by browsing the web or doing whatever you'd like.

Hope that helps!

Hmm, I do not get the username/password/domain mentioned at #8. At the end when trying to browse I get: Unable to connect: You have no modem entries created, and no network card present'.
(at this moment I DO have a functioning bluetooth-link. l2ping works fine)

Who knows how to fix this...?
meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

addition: this is what the server-side shows when I connect from the iPAQ. Does it look ok/normal?

Code:

Aug  4 13:35:20 sb62g2 hcid[7415]: link_key_request (sba=00:03:C9:28:8E:3B, dba=00:04:3E:61:10:56)
Aug  4 13:35:21 sb62g2 net.agent[6581]: add event not handled
Aug  4 13:35:21 sb62g2 pand[6579]: New connection from 00:04:3E:61:20:66 bnep0

Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got everything working for about 30 seconds of bliss, and it hasn't worked since.

Now, I hit connect, and the Palm (Tungsten T3) sits on "Initializing" forever, with nothing appearing in my system logs.

Native bluetooth stuff still works fine, as far as I can tell, except I don't actually have any apps on the PC which would be sane to hook up with any of the apps on the Palm... yet. But each machine can see the other, and they paired with no trouble.

So I restarted bluetooth and bluetooth_pan, and kept watch on the logs again.

This time I hit connect, and the Palm still sits on "Initializing" but there is one line in the logs:
Code:

Aug  6 22:48:13 [hcid] link_key_request (sba=00:0B:0D:40:14:0D, dba=00:07:E0:3A:21:AC)_

Has anyone encountered this before, and do you know how to fix it?
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trejkaz wrote:
This time I hit connect, and the Palm still sits on "Initializing" but there is one line in the logs:
Code:

Aug  6 22:48:13 [hcid] link_key_request (sba=00:0B:0D:40:14:0D, dba=00:07:E0:3A:21:AC)_

Has anyone encountered this before, and do you know how to fix it?

That line looks normal to me -- I see the same thing when connecting with my T3. In my logs, the hcid log entry is followed by an entry from dund ("new connection from ... "), then a bunch of entries from pppd indicating that the ppp connection is starting, including that local and remote addresses have been assigned.

If all you're seeing is that link_key_request line, but nothing from dund and/or pppd, that's probably the best clue re. where to start looking for the problem: is dund running? It should be started by the bluetooth_pan init script, but does it stay running, or exit unexpectedly?
Sebi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: HotSync with Palm (Tungsten T) issue Reply with quote

Hello,

nice HowTo! Got my Tungsten connected via BlueTooth. Great!

I had some trouble getting the HotSync to work. Network connection was just fine, but HotSync failed (the Palm connected, but then gave an error message saying it couldn't create a connection to the host). On another page I found a hint: in the "primary PC setup" leave blank the PC name and netmask, only type the IP of the host pc. I tried out - and it works perfectly now (using pilot-xfer as well as KPilot, didn't try out JPilot but should work as it depends on pilot-link).

Sebi
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was running the whole time. :-/

But I just did a kernel upgrade which fixed some other things, so maybe I'll get lucky and it will "fix itself."

Edit: and yes, it's pretty stable now. Excellent. So if you're on 2.6.5 and random problems are occurring, try upgrading. I'm on 2.6.7 now and everything seems to be dandy.

There's something perverse about using BitchX from a Palm unit via SSH though. ;-)
TheRealYoda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Does anyone here know how to configure bluetooth in gentoo so that it creates a virtual serial port that I can connect to with my PDA (iPAQ 2210).

Basically, I just want to be able to launch the Bluetooth Manager on the PDA, do a search and connect to my gentoo box over a serial connection.

So far I have recompiled my kernel with Bluetooth support and have emerged bluez-utils and bluez-sdp.

I have got my Bluetooth dongle working, and the PDA can "see" the gentoo box, but currently the gentoo box is not "advertising" any services.

Modules that are currently loaded relating to bluetooth:

Code:

rfcomm                 32764  0
l2cap                  19236  5 rfcomm
hci_usb                10752  2
bluetooth              39716  7 rfcomm,l2cap,hci_usb

Output from hciconfig -a:
Code:

hci0:   Type: USB
        BD Address: 00:10:60:A7:D5:8C ACL MTU: 192:8  SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
        RX bytes:4825 acl:89 sco:0 events:197 errors:0
        TX bytes:2942 acl:83 sco:0 commands:53 errors:0
        Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00
        Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
        Link policy: HOLD SNIFF PARK
        Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
        Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
        Class: 0x000100
        Service Classes: Unspecified
        Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
        HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x20d LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x20d
        Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

Any help, or url's pointing to howto's is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do the "sdptool add SP" bit?
TheRealYoda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trejkaz wrote:
Did you do the "sdptool add SP" bit?

Yeah, I actually did try starting sdpd and doing a "sdptool add SP" and the service did show up on the PDA, however I couldn't connect to it. It gave up trying to connect pretty well straight away and MS PocketPC gave a really useful error along the lines of "An error occurred while trying to connect".

I suspected this would fail as I assume there has to be another step where you configure the virtual serial port in gentoo (eg /dev/ttyXX)?

I have search these forums and googled for ages, but haven’t found anything. I found heaps about setting up PPP, etc, but nothing on simply creating a virtual serial port.

Just a little background info on what i'm ultimately trying to achieve. I've setup an SBC running uCLinux that connects to a GPS. I’m going to write a little daemon that forwards NMEA messages to the virtual serial port. The PDA running some mapping software will connect to the virtual serial port and use the NMEA messages to determine a location.

Anyway, has anyone else setup a virtual serial port before?

Cheers,
Steve
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember having to go "mknod rfcomm0 c 216 0" to create /dev/rfcomm0 when I first did it, but the damnedest thing is that file doesn't seem to exist on my system right now (looking at it remotely), yet I know that I can can still connect to the network via Bluetooth from my Palm, which requires this port to be open (since we use PPP via that to get networking.) Maybe it gets created automagically.(?)

The annoying glitch which still happens on my connection is that it will deny all connections randomly after being off for a while, but pulling out the bluetooth adapter and putting it back makes things start working again. So maybe this auto-creation happens at insert time. Or maybe there is a kernel bug that hasn't been squashed yet. :-)
TheRealYoda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Trejkaz!!

I now have it working, and it wasn't very hard at all!

For everyone else, this is how I created a Bluetooth Virtual Serial Port for my iPAQ to connect to:

1) Enabled BT support in the kernel
2) Emerged ver. 2.7 of bluez-utils and bluez-libs
3) /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
4) mknod /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0
5) sdptool add SP
6) rfcomm listen /dev/rfcomm0 1

and it's as simple as that!

Cheers,
Steve
meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it still doesn't work on my H2210... :-/
CTU-Butler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide but I'm having some difficulty getting my T3 to connect. I can get as far as hitting 'Connect' on the Palm to test the network connection, the Palm gets as far as "signing on..." while

Sep 6 15:33:36 akuma dund[9134]: New connection from 00:07:E0:2F:77:BB

is displayed in my /var/log/messages, but then I get the PPP 0x1231 timeout error on the Palm and nothing else happens. The Network Log doesn't show anything, and I've double checked everything and cant see anything wrong (the rfcomm0 node is created by udev, I can ping the PDA etc.). Any ideas from anyone?
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTU-Butler wrote:
I can get as far as hitting 'Connect' on the Palm to test the network connection, the Palm gets as far as "signing on..." while

Sep 6 15:33:36 akuma dund[9134]: New connection from 00:07:E0:2F:77:BB

is displayed in my /var/log/messages, but then I get the PPP 0x1231 timeout error on the Palm and nothing else happens.

On your Linux box, is pppd running and properly configured? On my machines, after the message from dund, I see a bunch of entries from pppd indicating that the ppp connection is starting, including that local and remote addresses have been assigned.
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. Sorry I haven't been updating; somehow I stopped watching this thread and as I no longer sync with bluetooth (I use an SD card; faster and simpler for my needs) it's not been on my mind.

I'm going to keep this as a discussion/help thread, and maybe ask the mods to move it to a more appropriate forum, and move the howto to the gentoo-wiki soon. That way you won't rely on forgetful old me for updates. :)

Steve
CTU-Butler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozonator wrote:
On your Linux box, is pppd running and properly configured? On my machines, after the message from dund, I see a bunch of entries from pppd indicating that the ppp connection is starting, including that local and remote addresses have been assigned.

It's always the simple things isn't it :) thank you sir, here's a virtual beer for you!

However I still have a problem, the connection can now be established but on trying to sync pilot-link gives me the incredibly useful error:

Code:
Listening to port: net:any
Please press the HotSync button now... Connected
Error read system info on net:any

and JPilot the slightly more descriptive:

Code:
 Syncing on device net:any
 Press the HotSync button now
dlp_ReadSysInfo error
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_READSYSINFO
Finished

Has anyone bumped into these and if so how did you solve them?
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear getting ppp running helped! Now...

CTU-Butler wrote:
However I still have a problem, the connection can now be established but on trying to sync pilot-link gives me the incredibly useful error:

Code:
Listening to port: net:any
Please press the HotSync button now... Connected
Error read system info on net:any

and JPilot the slightly more descriptive:

Code:
 Syncing on device net:any
 Press the HotSync button now
dlp_ReadSysInfo error
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_READSYSINFO
Finished

I don't recall ever seeing that error before, but my guess is that it's a way of saying that the communication with the Palm wasn't properly established. What did you see on the Palm? Was it a normal-looking 'timeout' error?

One thing that you can do to help debug this is to try to use a networked application on the Palm other than HotSync. The key part of the sync-over-bluetooth method is to get the Palm online -- i.e., with its own TCP/IP settings (assigned by pppd, settings in /etc/ppp/peers/<name>, where name is the service name that dund is told to use in the init scripts. Thus configured, the Palm can use the internet through the machine to which it's connected over bluetooth; hotsync'ing is just one thing that's done over that network connection.

If the network connection is working properly, you should be able to use WebPro on the Palm to surf, or pssh to ssh somewhere, etc. Also, you should see info in syslog that indicates that the Palm has been assigned an IP address when it connects, and a ppp interface in the output of '/sbin/ifconfig -a'. If that all looks good, then you can focus on hotsync-related settings (e.g., 'primary pc setup' in the hotsync app on the Palm). If not, then getting that networking going is the key -- messages in syslog will be useful for that.

So: is your T3 getting on the net successfully? If not, what are you seeing in syslog, and what are your pppd settings for the connection used by dund? If so, what are the settings in the Palm's HotSync app?
CTU-Butler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly thanks again for your patient help!

OK, I can browse on WebPro fine from the Palm so it looks like the networking is fine.

My Palm HotSync prefs are:

Modem Sync Prefs : Network
LANSync Prefs : LANSync
Primary PC Setup : PC Name (I left this blank as I want it to use the IP below)
Primary PC Setup : PC Address 192.168.0.254 (internal IP of my Linux box)
Primary PC Setup : Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Am I wrong on the whole PC Name thing?
CTU-Butler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo, problem solved by a hard reset of the Palm.

Thanks again for all the help!
meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: [HOWTO] Bluetooth and Palm (or PocketPC) Network and Syn Reply with quote

Steven Robertson wrote:

3.3. /etc/ppp/peers/dun

This file doesn't exist, so you'll need to create it. Here's mine (you should change yours to match your settings):

Code:
noauth      # Don't require authentication
local         # This is needed because it's not a real serial line
noipdefault   # Don't use the local hostname to determine the local IP used
proxyarp      # Proxy ARP connections
nodefaultroute   # Don't use the default route
noipx      # Don't use the IPX protocol
idle 0      # Set an unlimited disconnect timeout

# Change the next three lines for your setup

# <Host IP Address>:<Client IP Address>
192.168.0.7:192.168.0.6

# ms-dns <DNS Server>
ms-dns 192.168.0.1

# netmask <Netmask for your network>
netmask 255.255.255.0

A newbie-question: the Host IP Address, should that be the same as the IP address of the machine that has the bluetooth unit connected, or should '<Host IP Address>:<Client IP Address>' be its own little 2-node network?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: