View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rzheka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Changing the look of X cursors Reply with quote

For some reason I didn't like the standard X mouse cursors (black arrow and some other "strange" arrows). There's a way to change them, for all applications. X apps usually don't create cursors by themselves, they just query the X server for some predefined cursors. "Images" of these are stored in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/cursor.pcf.gz. It's a regular pcf font, and you can replace it with your own. I've created an example of such replacemnt here: http://www.geocities.com/sahklk/cursor.pcf.gz, with white arrow instead of black and other strange-looking cursors. Looks like in one well-known OS :wink:
To install:
1. Move /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/cursor.pcf.gz to cursor.pcf.gz.old
2. Install new cursor.pcf.gz
3. Restart X
Some words about creating your own cursor font. I don't know if there's a tool for editing *.pcf fonts, but there are a lot of tools for *.bdf (my choice is xmbdfed, http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/xmbdfed.html). You can convert cursor.pcf to bdf, edit it, then convert back to pcf.
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: The white cursor looks spiffy to me Reply with quote

Your link doesnt seem to be working anymore.. but your post got me curious as to what a white cursor would look like on the desktop so I tracked down the white cursor font.

You can find it here:
http://www.kdenews.org/999319509/999397635/

and although this is spoken of as a kde cursor font it works just as nicely on Gnome as it does for KDE .. at least it has for me so far.

Enjoy.

ps. Following the instructions in the gentoo post by rzheka works fine.. just make sure you rename your old font before copying the new font to the directory or else you'll be stuck with the white cursor for the rest of your natural life... muwahahah..
rzheka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... It's geocities :oops:
Just do "save links as" in your browser or download with wget/nt/your_favourite_tool
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks this works.. good work
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we use regular windows one with that though? (sorry, not really familiar with cursor editing:P and there was a nice animated one i had with the Aston shell replacement...wondering if i could convert/use it somehow)
edit: just checked in my windows folder and its .ani cursors, would those work?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: