emerge -u portage fails because of python 2.2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: emerge -u portage fails because of python 2.2 Reply with quote

I did an emerge sync and then it told me to update my whole system because there was a newer version of portage available. So I try doing the following:

Code:
emerge -u portage

It starts downloading and installing the new packages. At the 4th package the download stalls and I have to reboot my machine. Now I tried to resume the update and typed the same command again. However, now I get the following error message:

Code:
emerge -u portage
python2.2: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object filed: No such file or directory

Does anyone know what the problem could be here? I am beginning to get quite frustrated with portage! :cry: :!:
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past few hours I've tried emerging other packages, but nothing works. Portage always gives me the same error message. I think the problem oringinated when I did the "emerge -u portage" and one of the downloads stalled. So I guess my portage was never fully updated and is completely broken right now.

Does anyone know how I can get my portage working again? Please help me! :(
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAH! I finally got it working again! I used the following:

Code:
ldconifg

Basically what happened is that when my "emerge -u portage" stalled, some links to the libraries was messed up. After running "ldconfig" it was able to find the libraries again and it worked! :D I am VERY VERY VERY happy now!

BUT!

Here is my next question...

Whenever I try to update anything, after a few downloads, the downloads just stall! Why are the downloads so unreliable and why can't they be resumed? This is quite frustrating because I'm trying to run a "emerge -u world" and after a few packages it just stops downloading. Has anyone experienced similar problems? Please HELP! 8O
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: