View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: What is the deal with ghostscript? Reply with quote

I cannot view PDF files anymore. Prior to reinstalling gentoo I was able to but now I can't. Not sure what verion of ghostscript I was using then but now its 7.05.3-r1. When I try and use ghostview to view pdf files I get an error in ghostscript (unrecoverable). I was trying to copy the whole error over but it wouldn't let me for some reason and I don't feel like typing the whole thing out word for word. Other people out there have to be having this very same problem but I could not fine anything by searching the forum. I did fine problems with Kghostview but I had figured that out a week or so ago, simple realy. So with ghostview and ghost script the problem must be the same. It doesn't know what interpreter to use nor how x wants things displayed. Is there a config file that can be eddited to add this information or change the information that is already there?

Thanks,
Paul
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: What is the deal with ghostscript? Reply with quote

FINITE wrote:
I cannot view PDF files anymore.

Try using "xpdf". "emerge xpdf" should do it. Try that. It may not be the optimal solution, but you'll (probably) be able to view PDF files...
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the deal with ghostscript? Reply with quote

Or emerge acroread (Acrobat Reader). It is the better PDF viewer (IMHO)... maybe it's because it is their specification 8)

reverius42 wrote:
FINITE wrote:
I cannot view PDF files anymore.

Try using "xpdf". "emerge xpdf" should do it. Try that. It may not be the optimal solution, but you'll (probably) be able to view PDF files...
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or emerge "gv", which is an improved "ghostview". The original Ghostview can't open pdf files, and it's not a bug, it's a non-feature.
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ghostview/
You can also give "ggv" a try (it's a gnome port).
roderickvd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try to copy at least part of the error message. Without it, we don't really have any clues as to what's bugging you.

I would advise against using Adobe Acrobat Reader, at least version 5.0. It's known to use insecure temporary files and has a number of other potentially serious security issues. If you decide to use it after all, go for version 4.0.
zagarna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if this is a stupid question

i'm trying to get ggv (or any ghostscript viewer) to diplay the index with titles etc in the left sidebar the way you get it in windows

I seem to get only the page numbers, while looking at the same ghostscript file in windows using GView i get a nice expandable index with page titles etc.

is this possible ?

thanks
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roderickvd wrote:
I would advise against using Adobe Acrobat Reader, at least version 5.0. It's known to use insecure temporary files and has a number of other potentially serious security issues.

AFAIK, the issue with tempfiles was solved in the 5.05-r6 ebuild. What are the other potentially serious security issues?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: