Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Does the portage tree differ on ppc than ix86 ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glawe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: Does the portage tree differ on ppc than ix86 ? Reply with quote

Im thinking of buying an iBook... my question is if the portage tree differs from the ix86 tree (i mean what apps that are available)... if it does, whats the biggest differense ?
and how is the peformance of linux on the ibook ?? (G3 700mhz)

One more question thats not gentoo related, how compatible is MacOSX with the *nix apps... i mean, does most of them compile on osx or does most of them need work to compile.

/Glawe - wondering.....
rajiv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is only one portage tree. individual packages are tagged as 'x86' and/or 'ppc' and or 'sparc' etc. most everything is available for ppc. if something is not tagged for ppc, it's probably because no one has tested it. (the ppc team needs people to test ebuilds. if there is something you'd like to use that is not tagged for ppc, test it and let them know if it works!)

i've heard that gentoo flies on the ibook (compared to os x and os 9) but i have not seen it myself.

re os x, most command line unix tools should compile and run just fine. i've even build some x based apps (after i installed xfree/oroborosx). check out the fink project too http://fink.sourceforge.net/.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: