Pre-install questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Pre-install questions Reply with quote

I'm about to embark on a stage 1 install (well, later tonight anyway). In reading the installation instructions, I've come up with a couple of questions.

Step 14:
Warning: For your kernel to function properly...
...You will need to enable the "Code maturity level options --> Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers"...
step 14 continues with other similar statements

Question: Will I automatically see a menu to make these choices, or do I have to do something special?

Regarding the system logger, the instructions mention metalog being faster than sysklogd.

Question: Is there a reason to not use metalog? Should I use sysklogd instead?

If I use metalog, the instructions mention turning buffering 'on' and 'off'
so "meaning that tail -f /var/log/everything/current will now work in real time, as expected".

Question: How do I turn buffering 'on' and 'off'

Code listing 31

127.0.0.1 localhost
# the next line contains your IP for your local LAN, and your associated machine name
192.168.1.1 mymachine.mydomain.com mymachine

Question: I'm using DHCP from a cable modem. The instructions say to edit the /etc/hosts file and enter the IP for my local lan... This is NOT the same ip that my cable modem assigns, correct?

Grub

Questioin: In grub speak, can someone clarify hd0,0. I'm assuming
1st drive, 1st partition, and hd0,5 is the 6th partition.

Thanks in advance for any help.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-install questions Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Question: Will I automatically see a menu to make these choices, or do I have to do something special?

You will see it.

kanuslupus wrote:
Question: Is there a reason to not use metalog? Should I use sysklogd instead?

None that I know of. It's generally just a matter of personal taste.

kanuslupus wrote:
Question: How do I turn buffering 'on' and 'off'?

IIRC, it's with the command kill. Type man kill to get some help. I don't have access to this info right now.

kanuslupus wrote:
Question: I'm using DHCP from a cable modem. The instructions say to edit the /etc/hosts file and enter the IP for my local lan... This is NOT the same ip that my cable modem assigns, correct?

I'll have to look at this when I get home. I use dhcp too. :)

kanuslupus wrote:
Question: In grub speak, can someone clarify hd0,0. I'm assuming
1st drive, 1st partition, and hd0,5 is the 6th partition.

Check here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Felipe. I probably should have searched for grub 1st :).
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-install questions Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

Use the command ps -e to find the pid (process id) for metalog, then use kill -s SIGUSR1 nn and kill -s SIGUSR2 nn, where nn is the pid for metalog.

kanuslupus wrote:

My setup is like this:
    the modem has the ip 192.168.7.105
    the computer has the ip 192.168.7.106
    the modem performs nat (network address translation) to the external world
I guess what should be in /etc/hosts is the computer ip, but, actually, I'm using 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost, and it's working. :) But I still think the right way is to use the computer ip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-install questions Reply with quote

fghellar wrote:
kanuslupus wrote:

Use the command ps -e to find the pid (process id) for metalog, then use kill -s SIGUSR1 nn and kill -s SIGUSR2 nn, where nn is the pid for metalog.

kanuslupus wrote:

My setup is like this:
    the modem has the ip 192.168.7.105
    the computer has the ip 192.168.7.106
    the modem performs nat (network address translation) to the external world
I guess what should be in /etc/hosts is the computer ip, but, actually, I'm using 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost, and it's working. :) But I still think the right way is to use the computer ip.

Thats the part that has me confused... if it is the computer IP, and it is assigned via DHCP, that means you have to edit the file everytime DHCP changes your IP. I may just stick with loopback.

Thanks again for the help. Hopefully I'll be able to post a confirmation from my system tomorrow (running Gentoo of course).
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-install questions Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Thats the part that has me confused... if it is the computer IP, and it is assigned via DHCP, that means you have to edit the file everytime DHCP changes your IP. I may just stick with loopback.

No, no... That IP is fixed. In my case, it is like this: The IP assigned via DHCP is for the modem to connect to the external world. The computer only really sees the modem. That's what NAT is about. :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it now. For some reason my linksys won't pull an ip (or the ISP won't give it) from DHCP. Worked fine with a different ISP, so I'm assuming its something my current provider does differently. I've heard the sales staff tell other people to use a router, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Oh well, someday I'll make an old machine into a linux firewall.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you get it working! Keep us informed! Good luck! :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that thinks they may benefit from this thread may continue with the new discussion here. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=302
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: