KPortage or alternatives, any news?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoffe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: KPortage or alternatives, any news? Reply with quote

Hello!

Doing the little dance of:

* emerge search something
* read list
* emerge --pretend --verbose something_from_list
* emerge --pretend --verbose some_other_thing_from_list
* emerge something_from_list

and all those other small tasks has made me realize that some kind of frontend is needed. :)

Actually, I'd be perfectly happy with something that let me do a search and then view more info (--pretend --verbose) by selecting it from the resulting list, and then select something for install. Of course, more stuff such as browsing ebuilds, queuing installs and such would also be great. :)

Now, I might even embark on the journey of doing this myself, that depends on how that would be done most easily (I don't know pyton, is that a must unless one simply parses commandline?). But first and foremost, I of course ask the community if someone has already done this?

I've found KPortage which seems to have been dead for quite sometime (didn't try to download and build it either) - does anybody has any status on that, or know of any alternatives?What can they do? Do they work? Is KPortage suitable to continue on, or did it have a totally different direction?

Any input appreciated. :)
[]_sk_[]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for a little portage frontend too. I'm emerging portagemaster 0.2.1 it seems to be interesting.

Code:
#emerge sync
#emerge portagemaster

good luck !
dr_strange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Porthole. It's in portage.

dr_strange

Set the Controls for the Heart of Gentoo
http://magenta.linuxforum.hu
Malnilion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Erm Reply with quote

Porthole is a gnome app that is currently in the semi-early development stages. It still cannot do everything that one could do from a command line (e.g. not even emerge sync yet) but I must say it has great potential.
dol-sen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porthole can emerge sync now, (cvs version). We have a whole new terminal window for it that adds a lot of features.

We will be releasing -0.3 very soon. Watch for our announcement to test the cvs version, just before our -0.3 release.

It does not yet have all the functionality of the command line, and probably won't get all of it, just the most commonly used. We are however in the process of adding manual command line entry to it's queue which will give the best of both worlds (command line & GUI).

The cvs version is right now very stable and very usefull. Searches are very fast and offers a wealth of information within an easy click to view, including dependancies, changelog, installed files (if installed), estimated time to install a package based on real previous installs of the package on your machine. Emerge output filtering and reporting, and more.

The cvs version can be run locally without installing:

at the su'd terminal command prompt :
Code:

cd porthole
./porthole -l -d

the -d is optional and just activates debug messaging in the terminal window it is run from.
scarr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo Webmin package has a Portage Package manager built in. It lets you search through packages, upload an ebuild directly, search through installed packages, etc. It is also easily accessible through the web and lets you do several other settings for other software all within the same format.

Code:

emerge webmin
/etc/init.d/webmin start

Go into your browser, http://localhost:10000
and login.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: