Video Card suggestion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitropowered
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Video Card suggestion Reply with quote

I am building a new computer and in the process of meticulously choosing my components. I've come down to the video card, ATI or nVidia. The motherboard I will buy is an Abit NF7-S V2. As my research shows, nVidia drivers at this point seem to be better than the ATI counterpart. However I have not figured out how they are better. Is it compatibility, speed, stability? Also is there any compatibility issues with the nVidia chipset and an Ati video card? My prime candidates for the video card is a Radeon 9600 XT or Geforce FX 5600Ultra or 5700. Any things I should look out for when building Gentoo?

Sorry if I open up a can of worms...

Thanks in advance
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still stick with Nvidia. Their drivers in Linux are reliable and have been for quite some time. Sounds like there are still a lot of problems with current ATI drivers.

You can get a Geforce FX5900 for about $220usd and it's faster then the 5700ultra, although now that I look into it I see the fx5700ultra is only about $170usd, well either is good for the money I guess. The fx5600 although slower is only about $100usd these days, a good deal.
Here's a chart showing relative performance:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-13.html#unreal_tournament_2003

No problems with an Nvidia chipset and ATI video card.

If you go with the Asus A7N8X-E-Deluxe you get gigabit eithernet and no northbridge fan to have to worry about failing and no noise.
Moled
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those benchmarks are in d3d, and it windows, so they are totally useless for a linux user

I would get the 5700, or the 9500 if you can afford it
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a radeon 7500 in my laptop, and based on my experience with it (and the dri drivers) I bought a 9200 to replace the geforce2mx on my desktop. I'm using the dri drivers at the moment, but it's more than enough to play neverwinter nights and quake3.

I havent yet tried ut2003 on it though, I'm not sure whether it will work with the dri drivers. I'm not really motivated to try ati's binary drivers at this time, either since my card works fine for everything i regularly do or play.

Just a note about the 9200. I bought it because it was the highest card supported by both ati's binary drivers and the dri drivers (at present). Plus I got it on sale with a mail in rebate bringing it to about CAN$115 (iirc)
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
those benchmarks are in d3d, and it windows, so they are totally useless for a linux user
The Nvidia drivers are just as fast in both windows and Linux so it's perfectly reasonable to compare Nvidia cards with windows benchmarks although you might not want to compare nvidia and ati cards since the ati linux drivers may be slower(?). There are charts in the article using opengl based games although the results are all similar, ut2003 supports both d3d and opengl.
Nitropowered
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've been edging toward nVidia cause of the drivers. I might be getting a 5700 ultra, and if i could afford it the 5900
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: