View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How has the testing gone in the last week? I've not tried it out b/c I don't have a machine to spare for this purpose (nor do I really have the time to do another install). But I'm curious to know how it looks/feels to the people testing. And if the dev team feels it's close to release time. Last I heard it was going to be released in Jan. Can we still expect it this month?

Thanks for any input.

Dave
ledskof
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the most important kernel for us to test? Should we just use the latest gentoo-sources?
I'm running 2.6.1_rc2-love1 on the system I've (using chroot) built gentoo2004.0 on so far. I started from stage1 this morning and I'm ready to choose a kernel now.

I'd rather use whatever is most important for testing. But I also had been under the hopeful impression that the next Gentoo release was going to use the 2.6 kernel. Am I wrong there?

---EDIT---
Per beejay I'm using 2.4. I'm just going to emerge gentoo-sources.

Last edited by ledskof on Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
zhen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Testers need for Gentoo Hardened stages as well please! Reply with quote

Hi all -
I have just uploaded Gentoo Hardened stages (1-3) to the mirrors for testing. You can find them in the same directory as the default stages - http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/experimental/x86/stages/.

The stages are designated by the pie-ssp tag attached to them. All of the stages have been built using a modified gcc spec file installed by hardened-gcc which enables automatic IBM Propolice stack smashing protection and Position Independent Executable (PIE) linking. More information on what these technologies do can be found at the [url]http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened]Gentoo Hardened[/url] project page.[/url]

The testing process is the same for these stages as the default ones:

1. Download the stage
2. Unpack, mount proc, cp resolv.conf
3. chroot, env-update, source /etc/profile, emerge sync
4. stage1 - bootstrap
stage2 - emerge system
stage3 - emerge some common programs, sanity check

To see if the binaries are being compiled correctly - just run file on the binary, the output should look like this:

file /usr/bin/less
/usr/bin/less: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped

Please report all bugs to zhen@gentoo.org. Thanks!
beejay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ledskof wrote:
What is the most important kernel for us to test? Should we just use the latest gentoo-sources?
I'm running 2.6.1_rc2-love1 on the system I've (using chroot) built gentoo2004.0 on so far. I started from stage1 this morning and I'm ready to choose a kernel now.

I'd rather use whatever is most important for testing. But I also had been under the hopeful impression that the next Gentoo release was going to use the 2.6 kernel. Am I wrong there?

Since 2.6 is not *really* stable (as seen a few days ago :twisted: ), it's also not supported by "us" officially.

There are a few issues when using 2.6, since there were some major changes in 2.6 which can affect baselayout. So it would be nice if you would try a 2.4-series Kernel at first.
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to test too if it is not to late.

I could give it a real NEWBIE test. If I can, anybody can.

Let me know if you still need help.

Later

:D :D :D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
beejay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalek wrote:

Later

We always need help...go ahead... ;) :twisted:
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beejay wrote:
dalek wrote:

Later

We always need help...go ahead... ;) :twisted:

Where do I get, Gentoo? Anything special to get the right one? I really like playing with Gentoo. I will have to get better at taking notes though.

Let me know how to start.

This is cool. 8)

sc00by71
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where do I get, Gentoo? Anything special to get the right one?

If I understand correctly the new stage tarballs need to be tested. So you can use a 1.4 live cd and download the 2004.0 stage tarball using wget or links, and use the new stage instead of the ones included on the cd. There is supposed to be a 2004.0 live cd forthcoming. The link to the new stage tarballs is in beejays first post, btw.
I did just that I booted from the 1.4 live cd and used the freshest stage3 tarball. So far so good except for the make.conf workaround.
Don't know how useful I will be beejay but I am giving it a run on my xp2500.
Shawn
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I order this from Gentoo. I have a really slow 26K connection. Downloading, weeeeellll, it sort of sucks, OK. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I would like to help but by the time I get it downloaded, it may not matter anymore. New version will be out by then.

Later

:D :D :D
langthang
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml to install gentoo-2004.0. So far so good. I am at step 16.3 (using genkernel to) build the kernel . One thing I can see as a problem for a new gentoo user. Genkernel compile scsi device driver as Module. My boot partition is on a scsi device (BusLogic). My system will hang If I am not build the BusLogic device driver into the kernel. Is there a way genkernel detect which modules I am using (BusLogic, Promise, ...) for my boot partition and build it in the kernel. Or the guide should make a note about this.
pixie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried out the most recent (as of yesterday when I downloaded it) stage1 tarball.

All bootstrapped and emerged fine with USE="-java" to save time as in the install doc and the bootstrap-2.6 script.

I used my current gentoo install and chrooted to a spare partition to install it.

athlon-xp 1700+ with the following CFLAGS.

-march=athlon-xp -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fforce-addr -ffast-math -falign-functions=4

and KEYWORDS="~x86"
pixie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing though.

If Gentoo is going to offer a bootstrap-2.6 script it would be usefull if portage would add the patch to make xfree compile with the 2.6 headers.

[sollution: using the 2.6 headers to build xfree-4.3.99.902 works]
stefanwa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small report...
Installed from the latest 2.6 LiveCD and stage1 with nptl support enabled and no problems so far!

Steve
mantis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I ran bootsplash-2.6, but it only install 2.4.19 headers, is this correct?

So i modified the 2.6.0 linux-headers ebuild to allow building without passing ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and did an emerge -pev world, it worked well until it got to util-linux which needed .12-r4 version, so i edited my --resume file to .12-r4 and it seemed to work. I have nptl enabled in the USE flag, but this is after I did stage1 and stage2 as i forgot to add it to the USE flag.

Will it all work out the same as just having nptl from the beginning?
pixie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nptl use flag is for glibc.

Just re-emerge it with the new use flag added.
Psych0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cool!

I'm doing a first time stage2 install of 1.4 on a spare box now. Odds are good that I'll screw it up, when I do I'll start over with the 2004 stuff!
mukwuknuk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, a 2.6-based live CD is not required for testing; just the 2.6 stages (the location of which has already been made clear).

However, some folks seem to be booting off a 2.6 live CD, even though it's not essential. At least that's what I gather from some posted messages.

Sounds like fun..... where can this lastest/greatest live CD be obtained, may I ask?
Tez218
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the 2004.0 on a reiserfs partition using the Stage3-x86-20040105.tar.gz and the snapshot portage-20040109.tar.bz2. I installed using a current Gentoo 1.4 install on my AthlonXP machine, but I set my make.conf to compile for i486, did not want to set specifics for my cpu. Used kernel 2.4.22-gentoo-r4 created by genkernel ( Im sure most newbies use this instead of trying to compile their own kernel ). Everything seems to work good, tomorrow I will emerge gnome. After I can see everything works, I will start a Stage2 install.
nichao
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just set up a new Gentoo on my new harddisk from stage1-x86-20040105 using bootstrap-2.6.sh and ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" as well as a NPTL-enabled glibc and latest mm-sources.

Only problems I've noticed were that iputils is emerged too early by 'emerge system'. It needs flex, autoconf and openssl, but doesn't seem to have them as dependencies in the ebuild. Another one was the also already mentioned inability to build xfree 4.3.0 with 2.6 headers for which I used given solution.

CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS:
Code:
-O3 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=sse,387

USE:
Code:
x86 -3dfx 3dnow -aalib -accessibility -acl -acpi -afs -adns -alsa -altivec apache2 -apm -arts -atlas avi -berkdb -bidi -bonobo -canna -cdr -cjk -crypt -cscope -cups -curl -debug -dedicated dga -directfb -doc -dvb dvd -dvdr -emacs -emacs-w3 -encode -esd -ethereal -ev6 -evo -fam -fastcgi -fbcon -firebird -flac -flash -foomaticdb -freetds -freewnn -gb -gd -gd-external -gdbm -ggi gif -gnome -gphoto2 gpm -gps -gstreamer gtk gtk2 -gtkhtml -guile -icc -icc-pgo -imap -imagemagick -imlib -innodb -informix -ipv6 -jack -java -jikes -joystick jpeg -junit -kde -kerberos -krb4 -ladcca -lcms -ldap -leim -libg++ -libgda -libwww -lirc -mad -maildir -matrox -mbox -mcal -mikmod -memlimit mmx -motif -mozilla mpeg -mpi -mule -mysql -nas ncurses -nhc98 -netcdf -nls nocardbus nocd nptl -oci8 -odbc oggvorbis opengl oss pam -pcmcia -pda -pdflib -perl pic -plotutils png -postgres -ppds -bindist -prelude -python -qt -quicktime readline -ruby -samba -sasl -scanner sdl -selinux -slang -slp -snmp -socks5 -speex -spell sse -ssl -sqlite -svga -tcltk -tcpd -tetex -tiff truetype -trusted unicode -usb -videos -voodoo3 -wavelan -wmf -wxwindows X -Xaw3d -xface -xinerama -xosd -xml -xml2 -xmms xv -yaz -zeo zlib
mikeraach
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda confused...

The new livecds (2.6) are going to include these stages or not? By the name 2.6, I'd imagine that it will use the 2.6 kernel, but from reading this thread, the 2.6 kernel will not be supported (by gentoo) for a while.

Also, could I just chroot into a partition on my hd and install another version of gentoo while in my current one? Then just setup grub to boot from my 'new' install? Of course this wont be testing the new livecd, but it would test the new stages.

BTW, where is the thread for the testing of the new livecd?
nature
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Starting now Reply with quote

I got a spare athlon-xp 2200 sitting around that needs a good workout. I'm going to compile with nptl and kernel 2.6. Will post results back.
beejay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeraach wrote:
I'm kinda confused...

The new livecds (2.6) are going to include these stages or not? By the name 2.6, I'd imagine that it will use the 2.6 kernel, but from reading this thread, the 2.6 kernel will not be supported (by gentoo) for a while.

Also, could I just chroot into a partition on my hd and install another version of gentoo while in my current one? Then just setup grub to boot from my 'new' install? Of course this wont be testing the new livecd, but it would test the new stages.

BTW, where is the thread for the testing of the new livecd?

Again: Gentoo 2004.0 will not be based on linux-2.6 (*maybe* as an alternative choice, but not mainly). We're still going with kernel-2.4 since there still are some major issues regarding linux-2.6. In fact, 2.6 is far away from stable.
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beejay wrote:
In fact, 2.6 is far away from stable.

I have been running for a while now with no problems. I have tested it as best as I can at least. Can't get the built in ethernet thing to work though. If NVIDIA would get off it and let others help with drivers then that would likely work to. I have heard of forcedeath patch. Me chicken on patches. PCI NIC on the way. No problem. No more Nforce mobo's for me either.

I think it is stable, at least on this rig. Just my opinion.

Later

Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu L Tissimus wrote:
Hmmm... Well, I was wondering... Is Portange Next-Gen available in this release?

It might be in 2005.0, but definitely not in this or the next release. Maybe i wasn't such a good idea to announce it so early :?
mikeraach
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beejay wrote:

Again: Gentoo 2004.0 will not be based on linux-2.6 (*maybe* as an alternative choice, but not mainly). We're still going with kernel-2.4 since there still are some major issues regarding linux-2.6. In fact, 2.6 is far away from stable.

With that being said, (and if I understand correctly) Gentoo 2004.0 will be built off of the 1.4livecd and the current experimental linux-2.6 livecd is something for the much farther future.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: