Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beowulf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beejay wrote:

Please write a bug report including exhausting Hardware-Info

Okay... done: Bug #39430 ... hope it helps :)

On a side note, I was able to successfully install using the default kernel...
ejohnson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a /dev folder in the newest x86 tarball from Jan 23? I don't see one and this might pose a problem. Thanks for the prerelease, guys! Keep 'em comming :twisted:
mukwuknuk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victory!! Did it!!

Installed all the new 2.6 stuff (Stage 2 install) on a very modest Pentium II machine, only 128 Mb Ram with an 8 Gb HD.... no bugs to report!!

I had a terrible time configuring grub for a while (and I think I was doing it correctly). It just wouldn't work, so I started over from scratch, right from the first step. I think I might have gotten some corrupt stuff the first time around since most of my downloads and emerges were done on the day the main Gentoo servers were having a lot of trouble; so that might have been it.

Also I forgot my kernel would need reiserfs, so I got Kernel Panic, but I recompiled the kernel with the correct options and now everything works great. Well, maybe not everything yet .... I haven't brought up any X GUI or networking stuff yet, but I will .... or maybe I'll test out both a Stage 1 and Stage 3 install first.

My success was a group effort.....Thanks to everyone who helped out!!
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partimage is not included in gentoo-2004.0-x86-20040123.iso.

Thus regarding Bug 26049: partimage is missing on LifeCD 1.4, I think this bug should either be marked WONTFIX or partimage should be included in the LiveCD 2004.x.
gigatexal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried for hours to get network to work. When loading it loads the expiremental OS kernel 2.6 and the dependancies fail to get caclulated, also my network fails to see the internet. I even did a route add default gw 192.168.0.1 and nothing. Even went into the resolv.conf and added nameserver 192.168.0.1 and gateway 192.168.0.1 and nothing....

alex

amd64 3000 (socket 754)
1GB ram
asus k8v deluxe
80GB hdd
ati 9500 pro
gentoo 2005.1 and winxp
ledskof
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gigatexal
I had a similar problem, but the same disc I used to boot one machine worked on another machine.

My laptop works fine. But I put the disc in my a Dell Poweredge 2300 or something, and it just won't find the network. The dell has a eepro100 in it.
I'm going to mess with it some more tomorrow.

What hardware are you using Gigatexal?
yenwc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejohnson wrote:
Is there a /dev folder in the newest x86 tarball from Jan 23? I don't see one and this might pose a problem.

yeah... new gentoo users could get panic who wanna try the "experimental stages". 'cuz i remember it is said in the installation manual: if you are using our live cd, you don't have to bind /dev... imagine the situation: someone just uses a 1.4 live cd, lets it boot up, grabs this 01.23 tarball, when he enters chroot and does env-update **poom** no /dev for him, for he was instructed not to bind the /dev.
gigatexal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ledskof wrote:
@gigatexal
I had a similar problem, but the same disc I used to boot one machine worked on another machine.

My laptop works fine. But I put the disc in my a Dell Poweredge 2300 or something, and it just won't find the network. The dell has a eepro100 in it.
I'm going to mess with it some more tomorrow.

What hardware are you using Gigatexal?

Thanks for the concern. After reading what you posted it could be that it is getting confused or fubared because I have an integrated 3com nic which I thought I disabled, a dlink dfe500tx (it's an oldie) and the primary card a realtek 8139. Other wierd things are after creating a resolv.conf file and doing the "route add default gw 192.168.0.1" and I go to wget www.yahoo.com to see if it works, it tires to get index.html ..... odd.

amd64 3000 (socket 754)
1GB ram
asus k8v deluxe
80GB hdd
ati 9500 pro
gentoo 2005.1 and winxp
ejohnson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yenwc wrote:
yeah... new gentoo users could get panic who wanna try the "experimental stages". 'cuz i remember it is said in the installation manual: if you are using our live cd, you don't have to bind /dev... imagine the situation: someone just uses a 1.4 live cd, lets it boot up, grabs this 01.23 tarball, when he enters chroot and does env-update **poom** no /dev for him, for he was instructed not to bind the /dev.

Huh, ok, I've noticed all the other experimental tarball's had /dev included. It just seemed weird to leave it off this one. Anyway's like I said before, thanks!
Redspy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to test using my Dell Inspiron 5000 and Orinoco wireless card but have one question: As I'd like to use the 2.6.x kernel do I still need to explicitly exclude support for pcmcia and my wireless card when compiling the kernel as outlined in the Orinoco FAQ? Does that only apply to 2.4.x kernels?
fatez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've tried http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/experimental/x86/livecd/gentoo-2004.0-x86-20040128.iso but it doesn't recognize raid controller IT8212F :(

And for the silraid (sata raid) controller, it recognize only the single hd.

try with doscsci doataraid but nothing..

help plz. cuz i can't install gentoo in my new pc and i don't have any time to attach an secondary ide hd .. etc ..

10x a lot
POwRDBYPENGUinS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: PCMCIA support in 2004.0 test CDs? Reply with quote

Hello,

I just booted the latest (20040128) 2004.0 liveCD and realized there are no pcmcia card manager utilities or wireless utilities. There are drivers for pcmcia cards under /lib/modules/2.6.1-gentoo-r1/ but no /etc/init.d/pcmcia script or cardmgr/cardctl programs.

I've also tried 20040121 and 20040123.

Has anyone successfully used any pcmcia cards with the latest 2004.0 CD?
TheRuler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also die gentoo-2004.0-x86-20040128.iso lauft eigendlich ganz gut bei mir, nur einen "reboot" kann ich nicht machen da dann nur noch ein "No more runlevells" oder so kommt, ein SMP Kernel wäre ganz gut, und beim dcsp(oder wie das heißt) sollte der timeout runtergesetzt werden dauert alles zu lange..

:twisted: :x :arrow:
Crazywater
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRuler wrote:
also die gentoo-2004.0-x86-20040128.iso lauft eigendlich ganz gut bei mir, nur einen "reboot" kann ich nicht machen da dann nur noch ein "No more runlevells" oder so kommt, ein SMP Kernel wäre ganz gut, und beim dcsp(oder wie das heißt) sollte der timeout runtergesetzt werden dauert alles zu lange..

:twisted: :x :arrow:

English please, this is an international discussion board.
That's what TheRuler said:

The gentoo-2004.0-x86-10040128 is running fine, but I can't do a reboot because there is only a message "No more runlevels" or something like that. A SMP-Kernel would be fine, and you should lower the timeout for dhcp because it takes too long.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sink zat ist ein nown probleme :)

I think that is a known problem :)
ANTRat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now it seems like my first post (this one) about it being january and gentoo 2004 not being out yet is still true...

unless you can make a stable release in 3 hours, that thread shall be true
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANTRat wrote:
well now it seems like my first post (this one) about it being january and gentoo 2004 not being out yet is still true...

unless you can make a stable release in 3 hours, that thread shall be true

scheduled for release in jan 04 - doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be released at this time.

I'm sure they could release it for you if you wanted it.. but don't complain about the problems you have :P
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus

u can download the latest experimental cd, and stage 1, and build yourself a system, and it will be almost exactly the same as 2004.0

infact someone who's running 1.2 still could update and have a system identical to 2004.0

it's really only the livecd technology and pre-built grp packages that you are waiting for...

if u want gentoo there's nothing stopping yopu :P
Rucker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a fresh install using this stage: http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/experimental/x86/stages/stage1-x86-20040128.tar.bz2

The only problem was when I entered the chroot and ran env-update it said something like "/dev/null: no such device" so I exited the chroot and entered this (from memory, I think I have it right):

Code:
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/dev
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

I then reentered the chroot and proceeded with installation. Then at the end when you unmount everything it of course wouldn't let me unmount /mnt/gentoo because it was in use so first I had to:

Code:
umount /mnt/gentoo/dev

These were the only deviations from the install guide that were necessary.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, this has been documented in this thread... new install guide will reflect this change
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a machine via gentoo-2004.0-x86-20040123 and tested the bootstrap-2.6.sh script. Besides the already mentioned /dev problem everything went fine. No problems to report.
gigatexal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To have a 2.6 compatible system with the folders and what not, do you run the 2.6.sh bootstrap? what exactly does it do? Do i run the bootstrap.sh and bootstrap-2.6.sh?

alex

amd64 3000 (socket 754)
1GB ram
asus k8v deluxe
80GB hdd
ati 9500 pro
gentoo 2005.1 and winxp
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigatexal wrote:
To have a 2.6 compatible system with the folders and what not, do you run the 2.6.sh bootstrap? what exactly does it do? Do i run the bootstrap.sh and bootstrap-2.6.sh?

You just call the bootstrap-2.6.sh script instead of boostrap.sh (I saw this new script by chance and because I felt bold I just run it). It will emerge linux-headers-2.6.0 as first step and then does more or less the same what the normal bootstrap script does. The idea is to get a system where everything is build against 2.6 kernel headers.

But beware: linux-headers-2.6.0 is still masked because of known problems. There are packages in Portage which will not build against 2.6 headers and have yet to be fixed.

bug #31285 tries to track all problems linked to 2.6 headers.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimon, did you have any packages fail because of 2.6 headers?
Some Guy []
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the latest livecd and latest stage3.. install is fine, however when i do a emerge -u system, perl-5.8.2 (libperl) fails. not using any keywords (tried it with).

i do this right after i extracted the stage3 and chrooted.

-justin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: