Sound under VMWare
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Sound under VMWare Reply with quote

I've googled the web and searched the forum and don't have an answer yet, so I'll ask. Has anyone managed to get sound working on a Gentoo install in VMWare under a Win32 host OS? I've got everything working perfectly except sound. I've tried compiling sound into the kernel and tried loading it as a module. I'm using the OSS drivers options and the 100% compatible SB16 drivers in my make menuconfig settings. When I boot, I get snd-sb driver not found.

In my modules directory, I have sb.o sb_lib.o sound.o and uart401.o. I though sb.o would be the appropriate module, and put snd-sb in my /etc/modules.d/alsa file. I've run update-modules after editing this file. I've tried snd-sb_lib and snd-sb16, even though I don't expect them to work. Nothing I do brings up sound for my Gentoo VMWare session, and I can't find details on where anyone else has had success. Please, pointers would be very much appreciated here.

Thanks,

RagManX
Russki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound in VMWare works via VMWare driver! So to make sound work in Gentoo onder VMWare you need to find an oss driver or ALSA sriver for VMWare (which doesn't exist I think) Anyway, try to look in the VMWare docs.
Success
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russki wrote:
The sound in VMWare works via VMWare driver! So to make sound work in Gentoo onder VMWare you need to find an oss driver or ALSA sriver for VMWare (which doesn't exist I think) Anyway, try to look in the VMWare docs.
Success

The VMWare docs say that the sound card provided is a 100% compatible SB16 sound card. The docs say to use the SB16 driver provided by the Linux distribution. I had assumed whoever answered would have worked on this under VMWare and known these things. Had I expected otherwise, I would have spelled that out more clearly. My problem ultimately is I can't figure out how to get an SB16 driver loaded and working properly. All the guides I can find on the web refer to loading the SB16 module, but I don't have an sb16.o file, so no SB16 module. I have sb.o, sb_lib.o, and uart401.o. But none of those make for a working ALSA sound system when loaded.

RagManX
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might wanna read this thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: