3ware 6200 and /dev/sda1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svan9420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: 3ware 6200 and /dev/sda1 Reply with quote

I am installing gentoo linux onto a 3ware disk array consisting of two 30 gb harddrives in a stripe configuration. I am able to boot into gento, load 3-wxxx module. However, I do not notice any scsi device files like /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda. Do i need to create these device files and if I do, what is the proper way to perform this procedure?
kapplegate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you modprobe the 3-wxxx file make sure you also do the following in order to build the scsi files in /dev/:

# modprobe sr_mod
# modprobe sd_mod
svan9420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your valuable assistance.
JohnnyGTO
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3ware 6200 and /dev/sda1 Reply with quote

I would be VERY intrested in how well the 3ware works with Gentoo. You see I have clients storing 400G to 2.4T and they are getting just a bit tired of paying the $$ for big NAS storage. I keep telling them about 3ware and I'd like to build something here to put my money were my mouth is.

svan9420 wrote:
I am installing gentoo linux onto a 3ware disk array consisting of two 30 gb harddrives in a stripe configuration. I am able to boot into gento, load 3-wxxx module. However, I do not notice any scsi device files like /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda. Do i need to create these device files and if I do, what is the proper way to perform this procedure?
svan9420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found my 3ware controller to be very stable. I have the 3ware escalade 6200 which is a two port raid card supporting only two drives. There are 4 port and 8 port models each supporting 4 and 8 hard drives respectively. I see that 3ware is in the 7XXX series raid controllers now and most of them require a 64 bit pci slot (i think, might be backwards compatible to 32 bit). Anyway, they support raid 0+1, 0, 1, and 5. I am not sure how they perform in comparison to scsi raid controllers, but with a tight budget and IDE raid, I feel this is the best raid controller for the money, especially for linux. There is built in support for the 3ware raid controller in the linux kernel, plus it is recognized as a scsi controller and the array is bootable.

So far, I have not got this controller to work with gentoo, but the reason is because I am still trying to ween myself away from redhat and really learn the internals of linux and I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to setting partitions, installing grub and compiling kernels. But safice to say, this raid controller really works well and I have had Redhat 6.2 running on it for over a year without any problems.

I am positive this array controller would work with gentoo, because this raid controller looks like a typical scsi disk on a scsi controller.

later
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: