Rarely/never
12%
 12%  [ 69 ]
Total Votes : 554

dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running 2.5/2.6 full time since 2.5.50. Switched to mm-sources somewhere around 2.5.70 and I'm thinking about switching to love-sources but it's not in portage so that would actually involve effort on my part ;)

Portage needs support for overlay rsync servers :-\
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if my memory serves me right, i have been using it from test4 and i am really happy with it.
Jimboberella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to the gentoo-dev series when that first appeared and I think it's a step up from the 2.4 series.
srlinuxx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first tested it out with mandrake's cooker 12/17 snapshot. All was well there after patching nvidia's drivers, so I downloaded the linus vanilla 2.6xx and installed it on my slack-9.1 partition. To my surprize, it went fairly smoothly.

So, I might be trying it on my beloved gentoo partiition in the next day or two.
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running 2.6-test11-mm1 on my main Gentoo computer (home server/workstation). I started about a month ago with test9.

I have one server running Gentoo with 2.4.20-r8 and another running Debian (2.2.20).

The Gentoo server will be updated very soon and the Debian might be moved over to Gentoo as well. Nothing against Debian but I am much more familiar with Gentoo ...and I would have another computer to help me compile. Not that I couldn't do that with Debian but it would probably take some upgrades and some playing around to get it to work right.
darksaidin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My harddisk has never been home for kernel 2.4. I've only been using 2.6 on this machine.
Corky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most it would seem, I've been through all the unstable 2.6's, and am currently happily using the stable 2.6 without any problems.
mimesis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*chimes in*

I love the 2.6 kernel. Just using standard gentoo sources for it... happy how it configures, happy with the performance. And it's not like living on the cutting-edge with serious injury involved... it's like living on the edge from the comfort of your couch.

Me likes.
Houn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my current itteration of Gentoo about, oh, a week ago, and after getting the base system up immediately moved to 2.6.0. The ONLY problem I had was forgetting to turn on Devfs (oops! ;) and that was user error, not the kernel.

I'm liking the responsiveness, though it doesn't seem to play nice with NWN, causing a 30-60 wait for the game to load (evidently I'm not the only one with 2.6.0 and this "problem", though no one on the bioware forums has figured it out last I checked), but it still plays normally.

System's not QUITE done yet, still need iptables, web/ftp servers... but I'm guessing those will be just fine =D
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the gentoo dev sources have patches like the ck patches? Vanilla has some problems with emerging and doing other things at the same time, which the 2.4 gentoo sources work on, at least...
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houn wrote:
I'm liking the responsiveness, though it doesn't seem to play nice with NWN, causing a 30-60 wait for the game to load (evidently I'm not the only one with 2.6.0 and this "problem", though no one on the bioware forums has figured it out last I checked), but it still plays normally.

You mean like after you run ./nwn and before you get the *ding* when you can get to the menu to load up your game? I just figured that was game load time, never tried to play NWN under anything other than 2.5/2.6 :-\
Bonkie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using 2.6 since the first mm ebuilds in portage ...
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dice wrote:
Houn wrote:

You mean like after you run ./nwn and before you get the *ding* when you can get to the menu to load up your game? I just figured that was game load time, never tried to play NWN under anything other than 2.5/2.6 :-\

Wow that sounds like the scheduler is spinning around forever.

Could you try this small fix up - if its bizare scheduler issue it might be nice to try the latest interactivity change to see if you are staving the queue. (low change but it have been observed)

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.0/patch-2.6.0-O21int

This entire thread might be of interest - Ingo is cooking up an erreta for the scheduler soon with a lot of small fixes.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0312.2/0864.html

And I would like you to report this to lkml if it doesnt die with 2.6.1 (or the next -mm release), it would be very helpful to get the real hackers looking at this issue since it have been confirmed by a lot of users according to you.
thesnowman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved my desktop from 2.4.22 ck-sources to 2.6.0 the day it moved to stable. Bit of tweaking required afterwards - had to recompile with unix 98 tty support to get my x-terms working, add my alsa sound module to modules.autoload, recompile nvidia-kernel, but that was about it. Haven't noticed much/any performance gains, but I think ck-sources may have backported a few of 2.6's performance improvements. Can anyone confirm this?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesnowman wrote:
Moved my desktop from 2.4.22 ck-sources to 2.6.0 the day it moved to stable. Bit of tweaking required afterwards - had to recompile with unix 98 tty support to get my x-terms working, add my alsa sound module to modules.autoload, recompile nvidia-kernel, but that was about it. Haven't noticed much/any performance gains, but I think ck-sources may have backported a few of 2.6's performance improvements. Can anyone confirm this?

-ck was nothing but backports and some of Cons interactivity work (which was included in 2.5.70 I think.
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 2.6 actually needs some ck work :P There are some weird things about how the scheduler does things and how timeslicing actually slices time, which leads to some responsiveness problems, especially at times of high CPU/HDD use (read: during an emerge).
markfl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah
i get some serious CPU usage during an emerge
top reads approx 200% cpu usage on hyperthreading
meaning -100% of my cpu is left for anything else...
desktop responsiveness goes to the dogs but the emerge goes stupidly fast :P
its a fair trade off and i think i can fix it but i cant be bothered.

all in all 2.6 is a good kernel series, much better than 2.4 IMHO
i hear rumours that 2.8 may become 3.0 8O
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sure I'm running 2.6 on all of my machines . I was using it from test1 or 2 I forgot .
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MouseJockey wrote:

all in all 2.6 is a good kernel series, much better than 2.4 IMHO
i hear rumours that 2.8 may become 3.0 8O

Considering that 2.7 is barely off the ground, that's a very interesting rumor indeed :P
markfl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i cant quite remember the details but i heard that there will be quite a major change in the way the kernel is produced - enough to warrant a 3.0 release
possibly if you google for it
Dracnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 2.6 kernel since the early test releases. I'm currently using 2.6.0 on my main box along with /udev. So far everything is living happily together. We'll see how it works when I try to get my new camera hooked up for the holidays ;)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always on development kernels, more specifically, the mm-sources.

I also have some 2.4 kernels, but I never use them anymore since their responsiveness sucks!

Erik
Houn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
dice wrote:
Houn wrote:

Wow that sounds like the scheduler is spinning around forever.

Could you try this small fix up - if its bizare scheduler issue it might be nice to try the latest interactivity change to see if you are staving the queue. (low change but it have been observed)

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.0/patch-2.6.0-O21int

This entire thread might be of interest - Ingo is cooking up an erreta for the scheduler soon with a lot of small fixes.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0312.2/0864.html

And I would like you to report this to lkml if it doesnt die with 2.6.1 (or the next -mm release), it would be very helpful to get the real hackers looking at this issue since it have been confirmed by a lot of users according to you.

Hmm... I'll look into that when I get home. Supposedly enabling DMA helps for some people, though I've got DMA on and it doesn't change things. Though, I AM a n00b, so most of what that thread says is way over my head ;)
b1nd3n14l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Ill just wait... Reply with quote

Ill just wait til next summer...
That gives the kernel 6 months to stabalize...

Happy with 2.4 for now....

First ever Gentoo Install: June 5th , 2003
Registered User #12078 at http://counter.li.org
Houn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, but if you ARE running a 2.6 kernel, why not say which version/patches you're running on it, and why? I'd be interested to know so I can make a better decision on my next compile ;)

I'm running the gentoo-dev-sources myself.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: