Fresh Install, fresh error in genkernel compile-FIXED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meaty-btz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Fresh Install, fresh error in genkernel compile-FIXED Reply with quote

Well after sampling other options i decided that i cant stand any other option but gentoo so after succesfully having a gentoo install working before after much work on my Dell Poweredge 4400, i reinstalled and.. genkernel compile failed? WTF i have followed every single step step by step by step in the manual.. and after a grand total of 6 tries it always gives the same exact error..

genkernel --menuconfig all

ERROR: kernel source directory "/usr/src/linux" was not found

and indeed no such directory exists on my hard drive. In fact i have no idea were the kernel source is lurking atm. No steps left from the manual....
Things i have tried,
reboots and try again -no effect same error as above
re-emerge genkernel -no effect same error as above
redo emerge --sync -no effect same error as above
its baffling. You see once i get through this hurdle i still have to remember the kernel module configuration that worked last time.. which i should have writen down and this time I will.. regardless. I want gentoo. If i didnt i would not have spent more than 8 hours trying to reinstall it today. I am however pissed off. Once i get the base system installed i will copy my entire hd to another location on the network, from there I will make a cd out of it. That way if i ever have errors again and must reinstall i can simply bring up the live-cd and then copy over everything and then simply reinstall the grub configuration through grub-install and i should be back to my base system w/o spending 8 hours again. Enough is enough.. i know it works... i want it working again.

Last edited by meaty-btz on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, the paragraph about making that symlink yourself is missing from the latest Gentoo handbook. At least, I can't find it right now.

The solution is simple actually; go to your /usr/src and see what you've got there. Then make a symlink by writing

Code:
ln -s  /usr/src/linux-2.6.13-gentoo-r3 /usr/src/linux

or whatever kernel version you've got.
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also add the +symlink USE flag to gentoo-sources
meaty-btz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm that would work, except indeed as the error says my SRC directory is EMPTY!???!?!?!? now i am baffled.

ok knowing that the /usr/src directory is indeed empty i am going to reperform one of the steps listed in the manual.... we will then see if it works..

fixed

for some odd reason the first time i emerged the kernel source.. well it didnt emerge, it might have spewed an error message that in my head bashing against a brick wall i overlooked. It emerged fine this time and here is for hoping i get the kernel parameters right the first time through.. compiles take forever. Oh and I will ahve plenty of questions to go round.. I am still new to gentoo and specific packages and configuration setup will generate plenty of questions on my part.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: