@world update: dependency loop: xz-utils, elt-patches
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ritzmax72
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject: @world update: dependency loop: xz-utils, elt-patches Reply with quote

[Administrator note: this post, and the first response, were originally attached to the sticky topic The xz package has been backdoored, but this post is a general update problem unrelated to the xz backdoor, so I split it out. The post originally had no title, so I picked one that seemed reasonable. -Hu]

Anyone know why am I getting this during world update
Code:

(app-portage/elt-patches-20240324:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) depends on
 (app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (buildtime)
  (app-portage/elt-patches-20240324:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (buildtime)

Also, I have a lot of [nomerge] items on the list to be update. Never seem them show up during update. Why now?

I used the following command.
Code:

emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --ask --backtrack=300 @world
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem? It may have been a while since the last update? Try this instead:
Code:
emerge --update --deep --changed-use --ask @world

The shorthand would be:
Code:
emerge -uDUa @world

In other words, you probably don't need bdeps or backtrack. For regular updates, you do need changed-use.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
ritzmax72
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
What's the problem? It may have been a while since the last update? Try this instead:
Code:

The shorthand would be:
Code:
emerge -uDUa @world

In other words, you probably don't need bdeps or backtrack. For regular updates, you do need changed-use.

My list is very long. What is the code to generate a url?
ritzmax72
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
Code:

The shorthand would be:
Code:
emerge -uDUa @world

Here's is my wgetpaste. Why are there so many [nomerge]? Never seen them before.
https://paste.gentoo.zip/kUXnhD1I
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks a lot like you either lost, or corrupted, your internal package database at /var/db/pkg.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar thread where Ionen has expressed the same concern:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8827864.html

As I wrote there, I find it suspicious that it happens to multiple users at the same time.

Best Regards,
Georgi
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it the same user?
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
Isn't it the same user?

Sorry, I tend to see the cell below in the Author column...
ritzmax72
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
This looks a lot like you either lost, or corrupted, your internal package database at /var/db/pkg.

My /var/db/pkg/ is empty. It might be because in order to allocate space for chromium to build I probably deleted it.
Is there a way to fix it?
ritzmax72
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:

I thought this directory contained just the downloaded packages before they gets compiled and installed. What does it contain if I am mistaken?
freke
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/var/db is where portage keeps track of what is installed - I don't know if this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=57911 is still valid for trying to restore/regen /var/db

Otherwise I'd backup up /etc - unpack a new stage3 and try to do either emerge -va @world or emerge -eva @world.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ritzmax72 wrote:
sam_ wrote:
My /var/db/pkg/ is empty. It might be because in order to allocate space for chromium to build I probably deleted it.
Do you have a backup? By far the fastest solution is to restore from your most recent backup.

As an aside, on my system, /var/db/pkg, though bigger than I would have expected, is only a few hundred megabytes. For Chromium, that's almost noise level savings, so deleting it probably didn't appreciably help acquiring extra build space.
ritzmax72 wrote:
sam_ wrote:
I thought this directory contained just the downloaded packages before they gets compiled and installed. What does it contain if I am mistaken?
As sam_ said, it contains Portage's records of what is installed. After your deletion, Portage believes nothing is installed, so everything needs to be installed.
ritzmax72
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
ritzmax72 wrote:
sam_ wrote:
Do you have a backup? By far the fastest solution is to restore from your most recent backup.

As an aside, on my system, /var/db/pkg, though bigger than I would have expected, is only a few hundred megabytes. For Chromium, that's almost noise level savings, so deleting it probably didn't appreciably help acquiring extra build space.
ritzmax72 wrote:
sam_ wrote:
As sam_ said, it contains Portage's records of what is installed. After your deletion, Portage believes nothing is installed, so everything needs to be installed.

I have the emerge.log which has all the installed packages since 2021. Problem is due to mentioned "circular dependency" I am unable to emerge anything. Even equery is failing to give me "depends" values for packages which would be helpful.
Backing up personal documents, scripts, programs, custom libraries ( the list is huge to be honest and I will have to work a lot) and then just clean installing gentoo again seems to be only safe solution I could imagine.

Also, I had a backlog of moving from 17.1 to 23* so that would be one benefit of clean installation.
I would like to get suggestions on how to properly do it although I will looking around in other forum posts.

Should have instlalled gentoo in 500GB drive instead of 225 GB ssd
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: