View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghoraab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon,
NeddySeagoon wrote:

How to proceed ...

Thanks for your explanations on USB quirks. Although You're obviously more knowledgeable than I am, I dare to object.
First of all, most of the hardware is quite old, especially my mice (I have change the microswitches because they had reached their end of life) and the keyboard. Secondly the KVM switch, the powered USB 3.0 hub and a powered USB 2.0 hub of my father show the same problem with my mouse and keyboard and my PC. The probability that all three devices have quirks that are not covered by the 6.6.21 gentoo-sources is infinitesimally small.
Thirdly, the combination of KVM switch (or USB 3 hub for that matter) with my mouse and my keyboard did not produce any problems at all when plugged in my fathers gentoo machine. He is running a 6.1.31 gentoo-sources kernel.
So excuse, that I will first wait for a new mainboard before following down that path as the last straw. For me, all this is hard work, it's far beyond my regular knowledge horizon. As much as I enjoy learning (and I do!), I'm missing way too much background to properly comprehend. So, the advice is well appreciated, but as the probability of this being the problem is low (I hope you agree), I'd like to check the possibility of defective hardware first. I hope you understand.

One thing is really puzzling: My wife's box is nearly the same, hardware wise (same mainboard, same power supply, same processor, same RAM). When I connect the KVM switch to her PC, there is no obvious problem. But dmesg shows the resets as well. They are few, but they are there. This is why I ruled out a hardware problem in the first place but I have my doubts now. Again, the probability of two mainboards suffering from the same defect is close to zero. At least as long as it's not systematic...

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The working assumption is that there is only a single problem at a time.

Yes, I'm not sure whether this is true... This is why I try to describe my experience with "system lag" and "mouse lag". If you have an idea how to try to differentiate between those, I'd support as good as I can.

NeddySeagoon wrote:

This would have me reaching for a USB2 extender cable, my soldering iron and a 5v PSU, so the mouse was no longer USB powered.
That's not within everyones skill or equipment set though.

I have the equipment and maybe some skills but let me replace the mainboard first. I'm not ready for this experiment right now. When I asked the question I expected that someone would tell me that I messed up my kernel configuration and then I would be fine. Now I have torn apart my whole setup and partly my wifes and my fathers... :roll: I hope you understand. Again, thanks a lot for you incredible support.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghoraab,

I follow your points and they are quite valid.

Quote:
... all when plugged in my fathers gentoo machine. He is running a 6.1.31 gentoo-sources kernel.

That cries out to test with the 6.1 kernel them.

My HDMI sound is unusable with kernels >5.15 unless the load average is > number_threads.
I don't know why yet but sometimes older is better.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ghoraab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon,
NeddySeagoon wrote:
Ghoraab,
That cries out to test with the 6.1 kernel them.

it does, it does. Strange how one sometimes can overlook so obvious things. However, I only emerged the 6.6.21 because I was having the problems on 6.1.67. Still, I will give it a try and I will apply the changes pietinger proposed. I will report back.
Ghoraab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For completeness' sake: Kernel 6.1.67 did not improve the situation, unfortunately.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghoraab,

It had to be tried.

What is your plan next?
Replacement hardware?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ghoraab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon,
NeddySeagoon wrote:
It had to be tried.
Yes, I agree.
NeddySeagoon wrote:
What is your plan next?
Replacement hardware?

Replacement of the main board. I will report back, once I have sorted out the chaos this might cause with my triple boot system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: