[SOLVED] Failed to boot after fresh install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarffie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Failed to boot after fresh install Reply with quote

I've been trying to re-install the system for a while now. I have no error reports in the live media, but after I reboot, soon as it tries loading the initial ramdisk it displays this message in a different shade and font

Code:
EFI STUB: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path

I've tried some solutions for like-looking issues that I found on the forum but nothing helped and I've been stuck on that for some time now lol

I also have my .config on paste bin here

can someone shine some light for me? t-t

Last edited by tarffie on Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarffie,

Welcome to Gentoo Forums ! :D

You have the same problem we had very often ... :lol: ... therefore I wrote a tutorial ... you must enable:
Code:
# CONFIG_DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION is not set
# CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set

See more here: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_Configuring_Kernel_Version_6.6#Part_3_-_Must_Haves
tarffie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
tarffie,

Welcome to Gentoo Forums ! :D

You have the same problem we had very often ... :lol: ... therefore I wrote a tutorial ... you must enable:
Code:
# CONFIG_DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION is not set
# CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set

See more here: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_Configuring_Kernel_Version_6.6#Part_3_-_Must_Haves

Tthanks for greeting me piettinger!

I followed your tutorial and now I indeed don't get the message I did before, but after the same load step (lol) it just turns off my keyboard and mouse and freezes there (._. )
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I am offline now, I can give you only some links:

Please check this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_kernel_configuration#Never_edit_.config
(then read it with EVERY link included; especially: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PC_Boot_Process )

Maybe you have a invisible kernel panic ... try this: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8827678.html#8827678
tarffie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
Because I am offline now, I can give you only some links: some links

I did that, read all the links and remade my kernel config from the ground, since I tampered with the .config thinking it couldn't never go wrong (lol)
Now it does pass that part but my kernel instantly panics after, I'm looking for the logs but I still haven't found them yet. Anyway, the kernel complains about not being able to mount the / fs in an unknown block-size or something, I assumed that could've been some error in my fstab file, which is:

Code:

# <fs>                  <mountpoint>    <type>          <opts>          <dump> <pass>

#LABEL=boot             /boot           ext4            defaults        1 2
#UUID=58e72203-57d1-4497-81ad-97655bd56494              /               xfs             defaults                0 1
#LABEL=swap             none            swap            sw              0 0
#/dev/cdrom             /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,ro       0 0
#PARTUUID=c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b  /efi    vfat    umask=0077      0 2
/dev/sda1       /efi    vfat    umask=0077      0 2
#PARTUUID=0657fd6d-a4ab-43c4-84e5-0933c84b4f4f  none    swap    sw      0 0
/dev/sda2       none    swap    sw      0 0
#PARTUUID=4f68bce3-e8cd-4db1-96e7-fbcaf984b709  /       xfs     defaults,noatime        0 1
/dev/sda3       /       xfs     defaults,noatime        0 1

#PARTUUID=0a88d45e-01   /mnt/ext_disk   auto    auto,user       0 0

I tried specifying mounting points without using PARTUUID since iirc that'd demand that I provided an inital ram fs and I sort of disabled that in my kernel, remade my grub.cfg but it's still panicking :(
Let me know if you'll need more information aa
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarffie wrote:
about not being able to mount the / fs in an unknown block-size or something,

This is indicate your kernel command line option "root=" have mistake or missing. It have nothing to do with fstab from the booting sequence point of view.

You should check your "boot loader" (for example grub) to see if the root= is correct or not.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarffie wrote:
Now it does pass that part but my kernel instantly panics after, I'm looking for the logs but I still haven't found them yet.
Kernel panics are not logged to disk. You need to transcribe the relevant lines from the console. This is easiest with a serial console, but netconsole can also work. If you cannot use either of those, there is always the option of photographing the screen, then manually transcribing from the photograph for us. (Please do not post the picture directly. It cannot be quoted.)
tarffie wrote:
Anyway, the kernel complains about not being able to mount the / fs in an unknown block-size or something, I assumed that could've been some error in my fstab file
As pingtoo notes, your error is too early for fstab to matter. If you need further help, please post the kernel command line as set by grub, and the last few lines of error output from the panic, verbatim.
tarffie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how I did but.. I did enabled it initramfs and re-generated my grub.cfg file, after that, my system still warns me as error at boot but it continues normally and then boots up to my display manager. Since my initial problem was solved, I'm gonna edit the original post as solved, thanks everyone!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: