mariadb and mysql USE flag usage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: mariadb and mysql USE flag usage Reply with quote

Howdy. I have a system that has MariaDB as the selected database. However, several packages only have a mysql USE flag. Those packages seem to have no trouble using MariaDB today. However, now that I must choose between mysql and mariadb USE flags, what are my next steps? I'd like to avoid creating a mess of /etc/portage/package.use exceptions and settings. I feel like Portage should probably handle this gracefully, but I know that there's limited volunteer time to get every wish granted. :) But, what's the path with the least toil and most robustness? Thanks in advance.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the problematic packages? You could put them in a local overlay and modify them to use MariahDB if you're sure they can use it. You can also file bugs, you never know how soon you may get something changed.

Best Regards,
Georgi
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysql USE also implies MariaDB. A very small number of packages may have an additional USE flag of mariadb.
Scanning through packages, this mariadb flag is often used to select a client library and has nothing to do with the server at all.

In most cases, setting the mysql USE is enough unless you specifically need something from dev-db/mariadb-connector-c
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: mariadb and mysql USE flag usage Reply with quote

NightMonkey wrote:
[...] However, now that I must choose between mysql and mariadb USE flags, what are my next steps? I'd like to avoid creating a mess of /etc/portage/package.use exceptions and settings.[...]

Don't worry - usually you have to decide between mysql and others like postgres and sqlite ... Example:
Code:
# emerge -pvD akonadi

[ebuild   R    ] kde-apps/akonadi-23.08.5:5::gentoo  USE="kaccounts mysql xml -debug -designer -doc -postgres -sqlite -test -tools" 0 KiB

Just ask wich packages use these both Use-flags and you will get only 10 for "mariadb". The most important is libreoffice ... having ONLY mariadb (and no mysql):
Code:
 ~ # eix -Uce mariadb
[N] app-misc/sphinx (2.2.11-r5): Full-text search engine with support for MySQL and PostgreSQL
[I] app-office/libreoffice (7.6.4.1@23.03.2024): A full office productivity suite
[N] dev-lang/xsb (3.8.0): XSB is a logic programming and deductive database system
[N] dev-libs/poco (1.12.4(0/94)): C++ libraries for building network-based applications
[I] dev-perl/DBD-MariaDB (1.230.0@23.03.2024): MariaDB and MySQL driver for the Perl5 Database Interface (DBI)
[N] dev-perl/DBD-mysql (4.50.0-r1): MySQL driver for the Perl5 Database Interface (DBI)
[N] dev-ruby/mysql2 (0.5.5(0.5)): A modern, simple and very fast Mysql library for Ruby - binding to libmysql
[N] media-tv/kodi (19.5-r1): A free and open source media-player and entertainment hub
[N] media-video/motion (4.5.1-r3): A software motion detector
[N] net-analyzer/icinga2 (2.14.2): Distributed, general purpose, network monitoring engine
10 Treffer

~ # eix -Uce mysql
146 Treffer

grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: mariadb and mysql USE flag usage Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
Just ask wich packages use these both Use-flags and you will get only 10 for "mariadb". The most important is libreoffice ... having ONLY mariadb (and no mysql):

I will disagree a bit on the libreoffice front. It uses the mariadb flag as a switch between dev-db/mysql-connector-c and dev-db/mariadb-connector-c instead of hard blocking users.
To some, this is a more ideal approach as it can be confusing to users with REQUIRED_USE. Having multiple flags might imply that one flag is better than the other when both are present as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: