Whither openshot?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Whither openshot? Reply with quote

This morning when updating I got this message:

Code:
!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- media-libs/libopenshot-0.3.2-r1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> (2024-03-26)
# Uses deprecated distutils-r1 API.  Depends on dev-qt/qtwebengine:5.
# Includes the libraries with no other reverse dependencies.
# Removal on 2024-04-25.  Bug #909996.

- media-libs/libopenshot-audio-0.3.2::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- media-video/openshot-3.1.1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)

I installed openshot earlier this year as kind of a one-off. I guess I don't really need it now that I have the mp4 video file, but I'm not happy about losing the means to re-create. Is there a plan to bring this back up to date with respect to distutils? I see that the openshot in portage is the current version from their website - it's not behind or anything.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Whither openshot? Reply with quote

depontius wrote:

I installed openshot earlier this year as kind of a one-off. I guess I don't really need it now that I have the mp4 video file, but I'm not happy about losing the means to re-create. Is there a plan to bring this back up to date with respect to distutils? I see that the openshot in portage is the current version from their website - it's not behind or anything.

The problem is that Openshot - current version - uses outdated Python modules, which is a problem for upstream to fix.

You could use shotcut instead, or even avidemux - although the latter is very bare-bones compared to Openshot.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Whither openshot? Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:

You could use shotcut instead, or even avidemux - although the latter is very bare-bones compared to Openshot.

Thanks for the pointer. For the moment I'm going to assume that upstream will fix it, but this is another path. As I said, this was a one-off and it's done. I just want to keep the means intact. Nice thing is also that the .osp file is clear-text. I have all of the original data and could likely re-fit that into a different code-base if absolutely necessary. I got to where I was having heard the name "shotwell" which led me to openshot. I should take a look at shotcut, while I'm at it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: