USB lost from UEFI boot menu
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da51d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: USB lost from UEFI boot menu Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I am new to Gentoo (generally a Fedora user). I have installed Gentoo on my laptop. I wish to start again from scratch, but now there is no entry in the UEFI boot menu for the usb drive. I can only boot the installed system. What must I do to re-enable booting from usb?
I will gladly post any required output, but not sure what to post yet.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums. What you describe sounds like a firmware question, rather than a Linux question. As such, we may need to know what firmware you are using. Please describe this laptop such that we can find its owner's manual online, or link to an online copy if you know where one can be found. Usually this would mean we need to know the manufacturer (Lenovo, HP, etc.), model number, and possibly year of manufacture. If you can get the version number of the firmware from its menus, tell us that. Anything else you can tell us to help us find the right documentation may help.
Da51d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hu. I have just this minute solved the problem. Before, I had plugged in the usb drive while the computer was switched off, but if I login to the installed OS and hotplug the USB, then reboot, it appears in the UEFI boot options.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that you solved it. Perhaps this device does not respond to firmware probes fast enough if it has not already been primed by communicating with an installed OS.
Da51d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peculiar thing was that when I plugged it in with the computer switched off, when I switched on and logged in to Gentoo, the lsblk command did not show the usb drive. Then I unplugged it and hotplugged it, and then it was revealed (unmounted) by lsblk.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: