I Must be a Masochist
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: I Must be a Masochist Reply with quote

This Microsoft Lab Rat has gotten tired of them moving the cheese with every update so I'm leaving the maze for Gentoo and while escaping, I may be able to bite one of those devs, drawing blood to show my displeasure in a manner they'll understand.

Lots of changes to Gentoo since the last time I used it and right now, it's annoying the frog out of me. Using the LiveUSB image, I was getting lots of I/O errors, indicating a hardware issue that had to be investigated immediately. Well seems something is wrong with the LiveUSB image and I've not taken the time to investigate it to solve it.

Next Portage decides to break after installing mirrorselect with an "unexpected end of file '=' " error about make.conf and the inability to emerge anything including webrync. Prior to that, it worked fine so I'm getting annoyed.

In looking into the issue, one solution would be to simply replace the make.conf file with one from the minimal install image if that's the problem. If it's not, then as I'm stuck with the inability to emerge anything, I'll simply extract the Stage3 tarball again and hopefully have it overwrite portage, which may fix the problem. Last but certainly not the slowest is to simply wipe the drives and restart the build again while avoiding mirrorselect if that was the issue. I only need a couple of mirrors as I've found that anything within my area offers some good speeds during downloads plus it's not an issue to enter the mirror by hand.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle,

Reinstalling never fixed anything, not even Windows.

Understand the problem, fix it and learn from it.

Gentoo does not have problems, only learning opportunities.
The difference is one of approach.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy:
Sure, reinstalling may not fix a problem but it's a viable solution depending on how much time/effort is needed to identify a root cause.

What's most annoying is that the issue seems to have fixed itself as portage was working fine again. Not sure what the cause was as I had not replaced make.conf with one from the stage3 tarball as I was planning. Looks to either be a cache issue or Gremlins but as I can't devote the needd time to get the install working - hopefully, I'll have a minimum that can build the rest of it in a few days; If and only If I don't have any more issues. I do know that some of the issues are probably typo's and such. It's been a long time since I've had to pay attention to exactly what I was typing that I've gotten sloppy but that's one of the reasons I'm trying to switch back to Gentoo. MS keeps changing things on us and I don't have time/energy to learn every blasted month.

Example is the fact that they've removed more Control Panel Items from the system and didn't tell us where they placed them. Another is the recent announcement that you can uninstall OneDrive from a system but the instructions are as confusing as possible while not providing critical information on how to do it. That's MS for you.

Yes it's fun and worth while to learn as it helps stave off Dementia by keeping the brain excersised but my immunity to frustration has gotten far shorter then it used to be when I had plenty of time.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: