[Solved] Secrets service (nheko)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza-rat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: [Solved] Secrets service (nheko) Reply with quote

I'm trying to get nheko (a client for matrix) to run with a secrets service, ie. gnome-keyring or keepassxc. It also suggests kwallet but I didn't see that under the virtual package for a secrets manager.

I had gnome-keyring installed by default (because of desktop profile, maybe?) and it didn't seem to work, nheko gives this error:
Code:
Nheko could not connect to the secure storage to save encryption secrets to. This can have multiple reasons. Check if your D-Bus service is running and you have configured a service like KWallet, Gnome Keyring, KeePassXC or the equivalent for your platform.

I start my system with .xinitrc, and I do have the D-Bus part covered via "dbus launch --exit-with-session" before my WM. I tried removing gnome-keyring and replacing it with KeePassXC, make a database/group within it as per the wiki, then tried launching nheko. Still the same error.

Any ideas? I don't need this feature at all, technically (it was activated by default on Debian), but I'm curious why it's not working. I haven't verified if either gnome-keyring or KeePassXC work with other programs because I haven't run into any others that would use it in this way.

Last edited by pizza-rat on Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
pizza-rat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved! I did a 'equery depgraph' on nheko and found that one of its dependencies, qtkeychain, was missing the 'keying' USEflag. Added it, re-emerged and now everything works!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: