Success Transitioning From RPi 4 to RPi 5 w/ SSD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentoo_ram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:17 am    Post subject: Success Transitioning From RPi 4 to RPi 5 w/ SSD Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks to the Gentoo community for documenting how to get Gentoo working on the Raspberry Pi 4 and now 5. I received my Pi 5 (8G) a couple weeks ago and transitioned my working Gentoo setup from a Pi 4 (8G). I'm happy to report I was able to make a copy of my Pi 4 SDCard onto a new SDCard and come up with only a couple changes. I made sure I had the Pi 5 firmware files and added the Pi 5 dtb file to the boot directory. That allowed me to have a working Pi 5 on SDCard very quickly.

I just received a new HAT+ PCIe SSD attachment and added a 1TB SSD to my Pi 5. For the new media I created a 512mb FAT boot partition, an 8GB swap partition, and left the rest for LVM. I then copied the LVM configuration I have been running on my x86 Gentoo box for years and copied the Pi 5 files from the SDCard onto the SSD. I'm happy to report I have a working Pi 5 booting off the SSD that runs an LVM storage configuration. It requires an initramfs created by dracut to load the root volume on LVM. Needless to say, a Pi 5 running on an SSD is significantly faster than a Pi 4 running on SDCard.

I compiled the Raspberry Linux kernel 6.7.5 using the same configuration on both devices. The Pi 4 is boosted to 1.8GHz; the Pi 5 is boosted to 2.8 GHz. Same 8G of RAM on both; using my same custom kernel configuration on both devices. The only difference being the Pi 5 build has 16k pages enabled. The Pi5+SSD build took 40.5 minutes. The Pi4+SDCard build took 119 minutes.

If you have the chance, using an SSD on the Pi 5 is a game-changer. I run my Pi devices headless and log in remotely so I can't talk about graphics configurations. But if anyone has questions about my working configuration, bring it on!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: