View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: [STILL-UNSOLVED] Firefox mouse hovering bug in Kwin X11 Reply with quote

Hi folks, :wink: in my first post, I will pay attention to this super-tedious-bug, afflict Firefox on my Gentoo installation since atleast one year ago, I'll never fixed, but I'd really want to know if I'm alone or it is happen to you...
:roll: :?: See here a short video of this: https://youtu.be/QykmBVEQu1A
:arrow: So, you can see this bug happen for "unknown reason", when you switch full/resize window borders and even you connect external monitor/switch to screens in X11 window and KWin compositor.
All object menu in Firefox is off to mouse hovering, and so on main frame, this end to unusable web surfing.
I'm looking for a kind of fix, but it's hard to find for normal user.
One way to temporally solve problem is, go to "Help" menu entry and restarting in safe mode and after popup window tell to restore firefox, go ahead to restore. Unlike it resets some kind of data, cookies etc, looks like very hunger to me. But is clear, for me, this bug store some data on local profile and make mouse hover go crazy, lol.
Thank you to everyone who want join this cause and help to understand where is the bug.[/bug]

Last edited by Babiz on Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the same thing happen in a steam game if it's switched from fullscreen to windowed or if it spazzes and decides to forget it's resolution. Worse in fact, it can be half an inch off.

You mentioned switching size/monitorin the video description box. It may not be firefox at fault, I've certainly never seen this with firefox.
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
You mentioned switching size/monitorin the video description box. It may not be firefox at fault, I've certainly never seen this with firefox.

Thank you so much for your kind and quick reply 8)
Unluckly I unable to figure it out, look stranger issue with Kwin under X, my video show clear mouse hovering issue only with firefox (non QT native window) also on Steam as you experience, also non native QT window.

This seems consistent with a kwin problem, or anyway plasma Desktop Envirionment, so thank you again for your words.

I'll need to know why if I "reset" Firefox local profile, then Firefox back to normal again (without off-object cursor hover) but this is hard panic issue to solve for me lol :)
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I want to post other detail for this kwin issue, I take some screenshot if you dont'want to see YouTube video link at first post.
https://postimg.cc/s1V3xJ9b

This not happen when Firefox is full window size mode, only if window is resized then wrong cursor offset appear.
Other thing I see this is triggered among X11 video setting changes, like external HDMI monitor is connected or so, kscreen 2 is active and manage screens.

Currently my system profile is set to:
Code:
➤ eselect profile show
Current /etc/portage/make.profile symlink:
  default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma

Code:
➤ inxi -Sxx
System:
  Host: IpnoRospo Kernel: 6.6.13-gentoo-BABIZ arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    compiler: gcc v: 13.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.10 tk: Qt v: 5.15.12
    wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: Gentoo Base System release 2.14
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, this issue look solved on my machine and Firefox >=123.0.1 build.

Thank you to Firefox Gentoo team and KDE Plasma team dev's for our hard work on this nice pieces of softwares.
Regards.

Code:
inxi -Sxx
System:
  Host: IpnoRospo Kernel: 6.6.13-gentoo-BABIZ arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    compiler: gcc v: 13.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.10 tk: Qt v: 5.15.12
    wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: Gentoo Base System release 2.14

Some other detail of my build:
Code:

➤ equery meta firefox
 * www-client/firefox [gentoo]
Maintainer:  mozilla@gentoo.org (Gentoo Mozilla Team)
Upstream:    None specified
Homepage:    https://www.mozilla.com/firefox
Keywords:    115.8.0:esr: amd64 arm64 ppc64 x86 ~riscv
Keywords:    122.0.1:rapid:
Keywords:    123.0.1-r1:rapid: ~amd64 ~arm64 ~ppc64 ~riscv ~x86
License:     MPL-2.0 GPL-2 LGPL-2.1

➤ equery uses firefox
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for www-client/firefox-123.0.1-r1:
 U I
 + + X                : Add support for X11
 + + clang            : Use Clang compiler instead of GCC
 + + dbus             : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd, gnomemeeting, etc)
 - - debug            : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful
                        backtraces see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces
 - - eme-free         : Disable EME (DRM plugin) capability at build time
 - - geckodriver      : Enable WebDriver support
 + + gmp-autoupdate   : Allow Gecko Media Plugins (binary blobs) to be automatically downloaded and kept up-to-date in
                        user profiles
 - - hardened         : Activate default security enhancements for toolchain (gcc, glibc, binutils)
 + + hwaccel          : Force-enable hardware-accelerated rendering (Mozilla bug 594876)
 - - jack             : Add support for the JACK Audio Connection Kit
 + + jumbo-build      : Enable unified build - combines source files to speed up build process, but requires more memory
 + + l10n_it          : Italian
 - - libproxy         : Enable libproxy support
 - - llvm_slot_16     : Use LLVM 16.
 + + llvm_slot_17     : Use LLVM 17.
 - - lto              : Enable Link-Time Optimization (LTO) to optimize the build
 - - openh264         : Use media-libs/openh264 for H264 support instead of downloading binary blob from Mozilla at
                        runtime
 - - pgo              : Add support for profile-guided optimization for faster binaries - this option will double the
                        compile time
 + + pulseaudio       : Add sound server support via media-libs/libpulse (may be PulseAudio or Pipewire, or apulse if
                        installed)
 - - sndio            : Enable support for the media-sound/sndio backend
 + + system-av1       : Use the system-wide media-libs/dav1d and media-libs/libaom library instead of bundled
 + + system-harfbuzz  : Use the system-wide media-libs/harfbuzz and media-gfx/graphite2 instead of bundled
 + + system-icu       : Use the system-wide dev-libs/icu instead of bundled
 + + system-jpeg      : Use the system-wide media-libs/libjpeg-turbo instead of bundled
 + + system-libevent  : Use the system-wide dev-libs/libevent instead of bundled
 + + system-libvpx    : Use the system-wide media-libs/libvpx instead of bundled
 - - system-png       : Use the system-wide media-libs/libpng instead of bundled (requires APNG patches)
 + + system-webp      : Use the system-wide media-libs/libwebp instead of bundled
 + + telemetry        : Send anonymized usage information to upstream so they can better understand our users
 + + wayland          : Enable dev-libs/wayland backend
 - - wifi             : Enable necko-wifi for NetworkManager integration, and access point MAC address scanning for better
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, today I see bug still here, on current Firefox release, only thing I do is watching movie from Prime Video, on external display (DP-1) and rebooted.

After reboot open Firefox and see window frame off screen on laptop (eDP-1) and cursor hover messed up, whenI click to "maximize" button, window fits normal and hover of objects in it returns to normal, but if I try to restore back to window floating on desktop, mouse hover get messed again!

Cheers

Edit:
Other thing I check after every logout/login changes;
Kscreen 2 service disabled/enabled: still issue, no luck.
External screen disabled/enabled: still issue, no luck.
Firefox hardware accel, disabled/enabled: still issue, no luck.

Kwin don't remember window position of Firefox, if I close at full window size (maximized) it's re poen as windowed float mode.

Next I try to reinstall Firefox sometimes will fixing mouse cursor hover, I'll try tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: