View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolly01
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:53 am    Post subject: [Solved!] Unable to get X working on a fresh install Reply with quote

Dear Gentoo Forum,

I have a fresh install of Gentoo on an nvme and am currently trying to get X up and running, however currently running startx produces errors and no display output. I was hoping someone could lend assistance. I have followed the Xorg guide on the wiki and also emerged xterm and twm and am aiming just to get the three terminal emulators to start up in an X-session (for which is a state at which I ought to be able to get thinks running just how I like it).

For a little context, I ran a Gentoo install for a couple of months about this time last year without too many problems, but had to move back to windows for a few reasons. Now circumstance allows me to move back to Gentoo again! I am running the same hardware config (Ryzen 9 7950X) as before (with the exception of booting off of an nvme not an HDD and also having a discrete graphics card (intel arc a770)). I'm currently trying to get X running from the iGPU as it ought to be the easier task (the wiki guide for a770 / intel-GPUS seems a little more ad hoc and I want to have a known good config before I start fiddling with it). Note just to get the one trouble shooting suggestion out of the way I have been remembering to switch the display cable over to the mobo port every time. In terms of OS set up I have gone for booting off of an EFI stub-kernel, and have changed from using genkernel to a manually configured kernel.

The only difference I have from the X-guide is not adding any X-related global use flags but setting some package specific ones as local USE flags. I don't foresee this being a problem as this is exactly what I did last time with no difficulties encountered.

make.conf
Code:

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
COMMON_FLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
CXXFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
FCFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
FFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"

# NOTE: This stage was built with the bindist Use flag enabled

# This sets the language of build output to English.
# Please keep this setting intact when reporting bugs.
LC_MESSAGES=C.utf8

#Wolly
L10N="en-GB"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel amdgpu radeonsi radeon"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"

I have my cpid2cpuflags set in /etc/portage/package.use as per the handbook and in the same directory I also have the following USE generated by emerge for emerging the base x11 package:
Code:

>=media-libs/libglvnd-1.7.0 X
>=sys-auth/pambase-20220214 elogind
>=x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.118 video_cards_radeon

This is in-line with how I had my system working last time. elogind,udev and dbus are all set to fire up at boot also, and mesa is explicitly emerged. Here is a paste of one of my Xorg.0.log files: https://bpa.st/A7445ZJIDKDE3VPAA4Q4MJ34TU. I tried reading it to divine what the problem may be, but alas I don't know enough about what I am looking at to determin a solution. As I say the two main differences are the way I have set-up my kernel and the fact there are two GPUs in my system now (one discrete one integrated) so that could be causing fault. There is a chance that I borked my kernel configs up somehow (but I did check back with the wiki and didn't see an obvious problem). I'm not sure what file to paste to give y'all my kernel config (I presume its the .config from the menuconfig right) and I'm happy to give that if requested.

Best wishes

Last edited by wolly01 on Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
wolly01
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved!

After checking through the dmesg I realised I had stumbled into the classic blunder of not compiling the drivers as modules (and also not including the firmware directly into the kernel/initramfs) - oops!
recompiling as modules fixed the problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: