View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colt45
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Some permissions in KDE not working Reply with quote

I did a fairly in depth rebuild to add some use flags for using virtualbox and now some things in KDE do not work.
Ive checked for elogind and its running and it shows my user seat.

The first problem I noticed is I set wpa_supplicant gui to start at login, so I could connect to a network. Now it says it could not get status from wpa_supplicant.
wpa_supplicant is running and connecting to a already configured network just fine.
Second thing I noticed was attemping to use `su` within Konsole always comes back as "Permission denied"
I'd thought that my root password got scrambled but when I dropped to a TTY session my root works just fine?
Ive also found that I cant reboot/shutdown from the menu buttons. I'd have to drop to TTY and execute them as root.

Any ideas what to check for?
Thanks for any response.
Colt45
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to rollback my machine since I was using snapper, discovered and fixed the error while I was trying to make THAT work.
I was unfortunately not able to do so, as dracut for some reason is integrating a different kernel command line option set from somewhere that has the original subvolid present. That I couldnt figure out as /proc/cmdline had the correct subvolid, and my limited searching shows that should be its source.
I thought that running `dracut --force` would build a new initrd with the correct subvolid but it wouldnt.

What Ill end up doing is configuring a conf file for it to read the cmdline from for future initrd builds.

Eventually I got tired of using my laptop keyboard and tried to SSH in. Got the same error about permissions when I attempted to elevate with `su`

I then suspected I knew what the problem was. I checked /etc/groups and my user was not present in the wheel group.

Somehow during the rebuild and additional installations that took place, my user account was removed from the wheel group. I have no idea why that would happen, but a quick gpasswd and Im up and running again. Ill have to watch for that to occur in the future when I update my system. I'd like to figure out which of the things I installed did that
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: