View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
decuser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: theming xfce Reply with quote

I got xfce working and figured out to add x11-themes/xfwm4-themes, but I can't figure out where/how to select icons. The only ones listed Aidwata, Aidwata-Dark, and High Contrast. I like Aidwata cursors, but I'd like something that covers all of the menu items at a minimum (no icons for Settings, Accessories, Development, or Internet, just a blank looking icon). The guide says that installing the xfwm4-themes package adds icons. If so, xfce isn't finding them and I don't see them in /usr/share/icons.

Help! I like XFCE, but I'm used to it being prettifiable via the basic themes.

-will
krumpf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfwm4-themes might only install window decorations stuff (pretty much the window titlebar, minimize maximize close icons).
Those should appear in xfce4 settings (access through the menu, or with terminal command xfce4-settings-manager), Window Manager section. Not all windows are affected by this preference (e.g. it changes xfce4-terminal, thunar look, but won't touch firefox).

If you're looking for full xfce themes or icons, I suggest to check https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/. Download whatever suits your eyes, and unzip in $HOME/.themes $HOME/.icons folder (hidden folders, create them if not present). I think you can also use $HOME/.local/share/themes $HOME/.local/share/icons
Themes and icons should then appear in xfce settings, Appearance section - warning, some older themes require extra package like x11-themes/gtk-engines-murrine, it's usually written in theme description.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have x11-themes/faenza-icon-theme and x11-themes/elementary-xfce-icon-theme installed and they show up as choices for XFCE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: