Wired behavior of the forum software
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erdie
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Wired behavior of the forum software Reply with quote

Hi,
I don´t exactly know where to bring this up. Recently I tried to post a problem in the german forum and I got the message: "Error in post" (or similar, I can´t exactly remember).

I tried to create my message serveral times and cut it down because I though it was too long or something. Everytime the same error message.

Finally I changed the title of my post and afterwards it worked. The reason was that the original title contained quotation marks, after removing them it worked.

The problem is, that every failed postiing attempt created a thread with an empty text body which could not deleted by me. I figured this out later.

Maybe this is something you should know to be able to fix it. --> Quotation marks should not be allowed in the title.

Thanks
Erdie
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this version of phpBB has issues.

One major issue is a post Subject. If it is too long, it errors. If it can't be quoted and saved in the database, it errors.
This is particularly frustrating using the "Quote" feature and the subject gets too long prepending "Re: ".

Maybe one day there will be an upgrade, but it a major undertaking with how large and old this forum is.
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Gentoo Forums Feedback.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has previously been reported, with varying degrees of specificity, in at least:There may be others. In short, follow grknight's advice. Avoid long titles, and beware that some non-alphanumeric characters make the title longer than it appears. The double quote character is a particularly popular way to trigger this, but there are others. If in doubt, post with a short subject, then edit your post to have the longer subject. That way, on failure, you get to keep the thread with the short subject (and you have a chance to try another edit). On success, you get the subject you wanted.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: