The Benefit of Setting Accept_Keywords="amd64"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: The Benefit of Setting Accept_Keywords="amd64" Reply with quote

Gentoo official wiki says: "The default value of most profiles' ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable is the architecture itself, like amd64 or arm." (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ACCEPT_KEYWORDS) It is clear that the benefit of setting accept_keywords="amd64", i.e., using only stable version of packages, is the stability. But I want to know whether it means also that with this setting the user would have a lower frequency of system updating or not. I think there are many users like me who don't want to update the system very often and each time with a long list of package updating, even at a cost of using the old version and waiting for the stable version for a long time.
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Benefit of Setting Accept_Keywords="amd64" Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
But I want to know whether it means also that with this setting the user would have a lower frequency of system updating or not.

I switched to amd64 about three weeks ago, after using ~amd64 for three years. I update once a day and there are definitely less updates than before.

sumati wrote:
I think there are many users like me who don't want to update the system very often and each time with a long list of package updating, even at a cost of using the old version and waiting for the stable version for a long time.

In this case, go with amd64.
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious what lead you believe accept_keywords="amd64" mean less frequent updates.

The frequency of update is the user's choice, as long as you ran the emerge -Uxx @world if there is some changes in your package usage, it will get updated, if you don't run the emerge command nothing will get updated.

stability have nothing to do with changes especially Gentoo does not create changes. it is all upstream (the application developer) decide something worthy of change and they perform the changes, I would imaging the in many reason you would like to capture that changes as soon as possible because your choose of the package (assume it also mean you trust the developer's judgement)

On the other hand, I choose stable as in once I got my Gentoo setting working as I liked, I never ran emerge update world, because it is already function like I need I don't need anything extra because something new come up. I don't necessary care of the security because I review the threat vector, if it is not relate to my use case I don't need to care.

So the stability is own definition, Don't let Gentoo choose for you.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more packages, higher the risk of troubles with ~arch.

Cherrypicking ~arch packages here.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
decuser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noob here. I will probably go the route of amd64 and once I get it where I want it leave it. But, my question is what happens 6 months down the road when I add a new package, will emerge just pull in the package and its dependencies, or will it go off and update everything. Forgive my naivety. I want a stable base, but I tend to add and remove stuff in spurts as I do a lot of tech exploring. I detest needing constant updates online, so I’m curious.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once in a while it may so happen stable update to request unstable keywording for dependencie(s).
If it happens, it will likely be corrected in a short time.

When portage asks for dependency keyworking it always suggests the highest version within the calling ebuild constraints.
I prefer testing with the lowest instead, and upgrading step by step to higher if required.

CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating on a regular basis is more than recommended.

Binary host is a new feature in gentoo, that could possibly help updating very old systems
Unsure though.

It could be a good thing to preset for it, then comment it when not required.
This shouldn't be on your critical path by now, iiuc.

Hu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decuser wrote:
But, my question is what happens 6 months down the road when I add a new package, will emerge just pull in the package and its dependencies, or will it go off and update everything. Forgive my naivety. I want a stable base, but I tend to add and remove stuff in spurts as I do a lot of tech exploring. I detest needing constant updates online, so I’m curious.
emerge will do exactly what you tell it, no more and no less. It will install what you request, and the dependencies for it. If you have not synced in a long time, the sources for what you want may have been retired in favor of a newer version. If you have synced and not updated the base system, you may find that a base system update is needed before you can proceed.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Benefit of Setting Accept_Keywords="amd64" Reply with quote

eeckwrk99 wrote:
sumati wrote:
But I want to know whether it means also that with this setting the user would have a lower frequency of system updating or not.

I switched to amd64 about three weeks ago, after using ~amd64 for three years. I update once a day and there are definitely less updates than before.

sumati wrote:
I think there are many users like me who don't want to update the system very often and each time with a long list of package updating, even at a cost of using the old version and waiting for the stable version for a long time.

In this case, go with amd64.

thank you for your reply!
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
I am curious what lead you believe accept_keywords="amd64" mean less frequent updates.

To my understanding, before a stable version is published, there are several unstable versions for testing. So, when I run emerge -avuDN @world, these unstable versions would come forth to let me replace the old stable or unstable versions. But, when I set accept_keywords="amd64", these unstable versions would be excluded from the updating list and only the stable versions would be available for updating. Thus, when I installed stable version 1, before the stable version 2 appears, I have nothing to update when I run emerge -avuDN @world. If I keep weekly updating, I will have a shorter list of updating. This is what I mean with less frequent updates. Is this not correct?
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
To my understanding, before a stable version is published, there are several unstable versions for testing. So, when I run emerge -avuDN @world, these unstable versions would come forth to let me replace the old stable or unstable versions. But, when I set accept_keywords="amd64", these unstable versions would be excluded from the updating list and only the stable versions would be available for updating. Thus, when I installed stable version 1, before the stable version 2 appears, I have nothing to update when I run emerge -avuDN @world. If I keep weekly updating, I will have a shorter list of updating. This is what I mean with less frequent updates. Is this not correct?

It is correct - you are right. The result is also:

If you do an update once a week you will have more packages waiting for an update with ~amd64 than you will have with a amd64 ... but if you do an update one time every 3 month it is very likely that almost every stable package has been renewed ... so there is no big difference to an unstable system anymore.

... and please let me add: From a security point of view it does not help if a developer fixes a security related bug in two days when this new version will not be installed for month ... ;-)

So, yes: With a stable system doing updates once a week (I do) is not very much work and it is more secure !
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
pingtoo wrote:

You are correct. If that is what you want. i.e. get "stable" based on Gentoo's ebuild maintainer usage. but keep in mind that Gentoo's ebuild maintainer usage may not match exactly your use case. So sometime it will bring something unexpected side effect you don't want.

Anyway it is just my personal opinion. I like Gentoo is because it give me the opportunity to really understand the underlying issue because I can see the recipe (ebuild) so I know what the choose will cause and if something I don't like I have a way to change it. I do appreciate Gentoo's ebuild maintainer volunteer their time and effort for share the know how.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies, comments and explanations. Of course, as I know it, switch from "~amd64" to "amd64" is also a complicated process. I have to be very careful before starting the change.
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
switch from "~amd64" to "amd64" is also a complicated process. I have to be very careful before starting the change.

The safest approach is to "freeze" all currently installed packages by adding them to /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords with their current version (=category/package-name-x.y.z), and wait for stable to catch up. This would take time but you wouldn't have anything else to do.

As far as I'm concerned, I did it the hard way because I was curious to see the result. My experience:
  • I changed ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64" in /etc/portage/make.conf
  • In /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords, I added:
    - ~sys-libs/glibc-2.38 to avoid downgrading while still getting any future 2.38 revision. I'll remove this entry one day when 2.39 is stabilized.
    - all packages only available as testing (category/package-name::repo-name ~amd64) - the list can be obtained with
    Code:
    $ eix --installed-testing --only-names

• Code:
    # emerge -avuND @world
downgraded about 280 packages (I have about 1150 installed in total).
Everything went fine. I re-compiled my kernel since sys-kernel/gentoo-sources was also downgraded. I rebooted, no issue.

Again, this is just my experience.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeckwrk99 wrote:
sumati wrote:
switch from "~amd64" to "amd64" is also a complicated process. I have to be very careful before starting the change.

The safest approach is to "freeze" all currently installed packages by adding them to /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords with their current version (=category/package-name-x.y.z), and wait for stable to catch up. This would take time but you wouldn't have anything else to do.

As far as I'm concerned, I did it the hard way because I was curious to see the result. My experience:
  • I changed ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64" in /etc/portage/make.conf
  • In /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords, I added:
    - ~sys-libs/glibc-2.38 to avoid downgrading while still getting any future 2.38 revision. I'll remove this entry one day when 2.39 is stabilized.
    - all packages only available as testing (category/package-name::repo-name ~amd64) - the list can be obtained with
    Code:
    $ eix --installed-testing --only-names

• Code:
    # emerge -avuND @world
downgraded about 280 packages (I have about 1150 installed in total).
Everything went fine. I re-compiled my kernel since sys-kernel/gentoo-sources was also downgraded. I rebooted, no issue.

Again, this is just my experience.

Many thanks for sharing with me your valuable experience!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: